Subaru WRX Forum banner

Idler Pulley (Compressor side) - don't make the same mistake I did!

19K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Vew 
#1 · (Edited)
You might run into this if you need to change you serpentine belt. I was in a haste and ended up breaking mine on BOTH cars. Idiot. I know. So, before you start loosening the tensioner, idler puller, whatever you wanna call it, be sure to loosen both top and bottom bolts. bottom bolt is the pulley.

The problem here is that guide rod on the pulley for the tensioner bolt is made of plastic, so it's very easy to break. My local Subaru dealer quoted me $110 for the whole assembly, which includes the bracket, pulley, and guide rod. Claims you can only buy it that way. Most good online OEM retailers will sell it to you for $60. Do yourself a favor, take it apart yourself and just replace the guide rod. Give them part number 73134AC001. This works on most Subarus, so it will fit both my 04 WRX and 00 Outback. Part is about $5.50-7.00.

If you mess up and remove the bracket before loosen the pulley bolt, it will be very difficult to break the bolt loose. Take a ratchet or wrench, and face the handle in line with the bracket and wack it against concrete block or something. Should be enough force to tap it loose.

Metal Hardware accessory Wheel Door handle

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, my friends have done it too. In fact, one was watching me as I did it, then explained I forgot to loosen the bottom bolt too... after breaking it. Diagram of said pulley. Part that broke is #7.

Auto part Line art Automotive engine part Transfer case part

#6 ·
At least yours told you. Mine tried to charge me $110+ for the whole assembly even after mentioning the piece, then never got back to me when they were supposed to call me back. "Computers went down" while we were on the phone.

#7 ·
Seriously just did this this morning, when i replaced my ac pulley(Which we couldn't get to spin even holding the center in a vice and turning with pliers >.<), went to my dealer and asked if they sold the part. They told me it'd be 11 dollars, but since i had just bought a pulley, AC belt, and Alternator belt the day before he just gave me the part. Gotta love awesome parts guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.