hungry CD player, HELP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Andersonreid is on thin ice
Thumbs down hungry CD player, HELP

So my stock cd deck on my 02 wagon just got hungry and ate four cd's. Has anyone had an issue with their stock deck malfunctioning?

My radio works fine but my tape deck or cd changer buttons get no response. it also was showing the four cd's on the deck but now the cd indicatior is gone too.

anyone? any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bump for some help please.

Ive tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to try and reset the player but that did nothing.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
never heard of that issue, but your probably better off buying an aftermarket headunit and just disassemble the stock one and get your CDs back

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had an 02 ranger that did that same exact thing. I had gave up on it and just listened to the radio. Than one day 6 months later it had decided that I could have them back. I have no idea on how to fix it, so I would stick to what Basco said, I know it sucks, but it will only happen again.

And to add to that: it happened to me the same week I got it stuck in 2 and a half feet of water and coal mud......F'd the whole electrical system,..... so perhaps something got wet?

GOOD LUCK!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Guy's. I've got to hit up my dealership tomoro for another issue so i'll see what they have to say about it.

either way it's a decent excuse for a new headunit.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I had to take apart and fix the disc changer on my MDX, but that was a good head unit. I wouldn't put that much energy into the factory Subaru head unit. It might be fixable if you know what you're doing and are careful, but I wouldn't personally waste my time on it.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
ive got the stock one for sale super cheap. if you want to put another stock one back in.. if so pm me and we can talk price
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

went to my dealership and got the 'you're screwed' answer. same with the guys at my local meet tonight.

I'll just go aftermarket, whats everyone using? I'm good to do the swap on my own but don't know what re good unit to throw in? I'm on pretty low budget atm as well.

thanks for all the help so far guys.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
never heard of that issue, but your probably better off buying an aftermarket headunit and just disassemble the stock one and get your CDs back
Exactly what I did when my stock headunit ('02) suddenly decided to not powerup anymore. Taking apart the internals took longer than I expected, but it was fun to do (knowing that I didn't have to put it back together).

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I just switched to this and love it
Alpine IXAW404 Double Din 4.3" Touchscreen LCD/DVD/MP3 Digital M

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Double-DIN Multimedia Receiver - KW-AVX840 \ Introduction
ive upgraded to this one.. mine is the older gen of this version,but the same specs. i love the simple look of it.all the buttons are hidden until you wave your hand over it. it has a proxy sensor in it that detects movements and then shows all the touch sensitive buttons. very clean look. also it fit in perfect into the factory hole/mount plates. there were no need to use the aftermarket bezel that it came with
post #12 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
I hated that CD player. I finally got back one of my CDs like 3 months after it ate it. Im use a 2 din AVH-P2300 Pioneer right now and its sweet! The 2 din looks awesome in the dash, I would highly advise it.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
You can take it apart to get the CDs out. If you're not capable. Any GOOD audio installer should be able to for a small fee. CD changers are notorious for failing. That's why aftermarket companies mostly stopped producing them. They're just not reliable. To fit all the mechanics in such a tight space with all the heat build up is bound for failure.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae