how to turn the drl off on my 06 sti - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

385STI06 is an unknown
how to turn the drl off on my 06 sti

I asked a question before it was right before I left to Georgia never got around to it now forgot any way to do so I'm not in the mood to buy bulbs and ballast constantly pics links etc are welcome thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I answered you in your original thread.

06 sti is there any way I can

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #3 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
/rant/

Bulbs and Ballasts? Please tell me you aren't running HIDs in your DRL housings?

The OEM DRL housing on the 06 is NOT A PROJECTOR, it is a standard reflector with no cut off. If you are running an HID kit please remove it for the sake of other drivers. nobody likes to be blinded by cheap HID kits. I dont want to hear "Ive never been flashed, or they arent that bright my friends friends sister saw them and said so" HIDs without HID projectors or retrofit projectors are NOT SAFE.

/end rant/

If you properly retrofitted the housings and are running a HID setup on proper headlights then you can disable the DRL setup by disconnecting the DRL harness behind the glove box. your High Beams will still work when you trip the relay and it should preserve the HID lamps not that they need to be preserved they have a very respectable life span. ( In the area of 5,000 hours or about 2 years driving 8 hours a day. If your buring through HIDs or ballasts then you might have something else going on with your electrical system.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #4 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
He has a sti arctic. They come with hid's.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
How To: Disable DRL 02-03 WRX - NASIOC here are 2 methods that will work up to 06. I'm not sure about STI

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
@Bookey your right they came with HIDs for Headlamps but I'm pretty sure the STI has HID Projectors and Halogen Reflector day running lamps. there are no manufacturers using HID lamps in standard reflectors. 385STi can you verify for me that your DRLs are not HID?

The lamp size for the Highbeams/DRL is 9005 thats not an HID socket but that doesnt mean kids dont put HIDs in them : /

Just want to be sure your being safe. I don't want anyone to get hurt/blinded or both.

Jason
post #7 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
@Bookey your right they cam with HIDs for Headlamps but I'm pretty sure the STI has HID Projectors and Halogen Reflector day running lamps.
Gotcha! I Didn't know that.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #8 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

385STI06 is an unknown
There own lights that's why I'm complaining there expensive
post #9 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
@Bookey your right they came with HIDs for Headlamps but I'm pretty sure the STI has HID Projectors and Halogen Reflector day running lamps. there are no manufacturers using HID lamps in standard reflectors. 385STi can you verify for me that your DRLs are not HID?

The lamp size for the Highbeams/DRL is 9005 thats not an HID socket but that doesnt mean kids dont put HIDs in them : /

Just want to be sure your being safe. I don't want anyone to get hurt/blinded or both.

That's funny considering my 06 STI has HIDs and the DRLs are the lowbeams/HIDs. I'd like too see them shove halogen and HIDs in the same projector lens for lowbeams.

boo-key likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
That's funny considering my 06 STI has HIDs and the DRLs are the lowbeams/HIDs. I'd like too see them shove halogen and HIDs in the same projector lens for lowbeams.

@turmic Your DRL are your HID low beams? Most systems use High beams on low power for DRLs.

Take the GR for example, it has HID projectors for Low beams and halogens with reflectors for High beams. The DRL circuit powers the High Beam lamps at lower voltage to partially illuminate the lamp keeping it from being excessively bright during daytime driving.

Jason
post #11 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
how to turn the drl off on my 06 sti

Yep and the DRLs on the second gens use the low beams. No matter if it's a hid application or not. After complaints from customers SOA issued a TSB on lowering the voltage on the DRLs because customers were saying there was so little difference in DRLs vs lowbeams. The 07s came lowered from the factory. But, Subaru changed it to lowered output highbeams in the third gens. My TR had DRL low beams and was a 2006 and my STI is the same way.

Edit: The TSB was only required work if the customer complained about the DRLs.

Kirt
post #12 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Yep and the DRLs on the second gens use the low beams. No matter if it's a hid application or not. After complaints from customers SOA issued a TSB on lowering the voltage on the DRLs because customers were saying there was so little difference in DRLs vs lowbeams. The 07s came lowered from the factory. But, Subaru changed it to lowered output highbeams in the third gens. My TR had DRL low beams and was a 2006 and my STI is the same way.

Edit: The TSB was only required work if the customer complained about the DRLs.

Wow, you learn something new every day.

Thanks turmic

Jason
post #13 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's all good. The guy was asking the right question...

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement