Subaru WRX Forum banner

how to turn the drl off on my 06 sti

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I asked a question before it was right before I left to Georgia never got around to it now forgot any way to do so I'm not in the mood to buy bulbs and ballast constantly pics links etc are welcome thanks.

#3 ·
/rant/

Bulbs and Ballasts? Please tell me you aren't running HIDs in your DRL housings?

The OEM DRL housing on the 06 is NOT A PROJECTOR, it is a standard reflector with no cut off. If you are running an HID kit please remove it for the sake of other drivers. nobody likes to be blinded by cheap HID kits. I dont want to hear "Ive never been flashed, or they arent that bright my friends friends sister saw them and said so" HIDs without HID projectors or retrofit projectors are NOT SAFE.

/end rant/

If you properly retrofitted the housings and are running a HID setup on proper headlights then you can disable the DRL setup by disconnecting the DRL harness behind the glove box. your High Beams will still work when you trip the relay and it should preserve the HID lamps not that they need to be preserved they have a very respectable life span. ( In the area of 5,000 hours or about 2 years driving 8 hours a day. If your buring through HIDs or ballasts then you might have something else going on with your electrical system.

#6 ·
@Bookey your right they came with HIDs for Headlamps but I'm pretty sure the STI has HID Projectors and Halogen Reflector day running lamps. there are no manufacturers using HID lamps in standard reflectors. 385STi can you verify for me that your DRLs are not HID?

The lamp size for the Highbeams/DRL is 9005 thats not an HID socket but that doesnt mean kids dont put HIDs in them : /

Just want to be sure your being safe. I don't want anyone to get hurt/blinded or both.

#11 ·
Yep and the DRLs on the second gens use the low beams. No matter if it's a hid application or not. After complaints from customers SOA issued a TSB on lowering the voltage on the DRLs because customers were saying there was so little difference in DRLs vs lowbeams. The 07s came lowered from the factory. But, Subaru changed it to lowered output highbeams in the third gens. My TR had DRL low beams and was a 2006 and my STI is the same way.

Edit: The TSB was only required work if the customer complained about the DRLs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.