How to spend a $100 or so buck on a stock 05 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
How to spend a $100 or so buck on a stock 05

I have around $100 bucks to spend on my 05. I was looking into some HIDs but the more research I do, the worse HIDs seems for my reflector housing lenses. So, I am looking for some ideas on HOW to spend it. I currently do not have any mods on my car (performance or non-performance) beside a radio and speaker upgrade. How would you spend it if you HAD to spend the $$? If I don’t spend the money now it will end up in the “baby diaper” fund or the “let’s get some new plants for the yard” fund. Any and All ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
$100 is hard to do, I almost always end up with several hundred per purchase. LOL

I'd start looking for a used tactrix cable. If you find one for under $100, you could be 3/4 of the way to a stage 1 tune.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=tactrix

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#3 Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
LOL!

My first mod on my 05 was under $100 bucks. It was a genuine STi titanium shift knob (for the 5 speed of course), the one that looks like a piston. 5 years later it still looks like new and way better than the OEM leather-covered POS...
#4 Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Scan through the NASIOC for sale adds.
#5 Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Hella Supertones! LOL....

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Rally Armor mudflaps. I have been drooling over them for a couple months now and still cant convince the wife to let me get them.

Kirt good call on the supertones also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

talking about Hella Supertones, I've never heard them, do they sound like a really loud BEEEP! or is it more of a BAAAP! ?
#8 Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Go for the flaps.. I love the way the WRX looks with them on and I love mine.

-Chris
#9 Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I haven't heard them, but they've been said to be 110 decibels of loud horn. That should scare most people of your horn. I still need to do them as a mod.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Kirts right about the decibel level. Think of our horn, but on steriods. What its meant to sound like. I was about the only guy in my last car group to not have this mod done.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Do you change your own oil? If so, QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil = $22.95

Do you want to hear more wooshing from your intake? If so, do the Snorkus Delete Mod = $price of time/saw/glue if you do it the cheap way where you cut the snorkus and glue a piece over the hole where the silencer used to be or ~$50 if you buy the pre-made GP Moto elbow

Do you want a little more performance inexpensively? If so, K&N drop-in filter = ~$50

A set of 4 braided stainless steel brake hoses is about $100, but then you need brake fluid too

An armrest extension is about $100 and very useful if you need more cargo space.

Trunk cargo nets are very cheap - ~$30 if I remember

Tinted tail light covers - Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style are around $55 if you're going for that look.

I found Hella Supertones for ~$62 on Truck Accessories, Performance Parts for Pickup Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers, Vans

I got my knock-off STi V-Limited front lip for $105 from eBay, but you might need those extra little pieces on the front sides since you have an 04/05, so that'll probably put you somewhere into the $100-200 price range - OR you could do it the cheap-o way and use a piece of black rubber garage door seal and screws/washers... which looks ok and would probably cost you less than 100

...and then there's always basic maintenance - switching to a good synthetic motor oil or transmission/rear differential fluid... dunno when your next scheduled maintenance is coming up or what type of fluids you've been using, but that's a good way to spend a few extra bucks too, imo.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#12 Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Thanks for all the input!! I would love to save it and purchase something more expensive later! (Cobb accessport) Thumbs Up but as previously stated... if I don't use it, my wife will.
So the supertones are just a louder horn. Would this make my arm and disarm noise louder (stock)?
Manshow: I am coming up on 80,000 and I am thinking about changing the diff fluids. It is easier to persuade my wife about something when it is maintenance.
Oh and thanks for the website links
#13 Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ahh the wife...

Do what I do, change stuff that is unnoticeable from the outside, like suspension stuff, bushings, lock bolts, endlinks, sway/strut/subframe bars/braces...

The JDM red-hazzard button is another option that she might not notice...
#14 Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
fuapiti: Good call - I completely forgot about that one.

gunk007: Depending when your trans and rear diff fluids were last changed (if at all), you might want to just wait until 90,000 miles since they "should" be changed every 30k miles. That way it might be easier for you to remember when to do it next - 120k, 150k, etc. I'd recommend Motul 75w90 Gear Oil for the rear diff and the Andrewtech cocktail for your trans - which is most likely what I'll be putting in mine at 60k. I've been using Redline 75w90 NS in my trans and Redline 75w90 in my rear diff since the very beginning and have no complaints about that combo, but I hear the Motul/Andrewtech combo is the best way to go nowadays. That stuff should cost you around/under 100 I believe.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#15 Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 PM

The supertones make your locking/unlocking beep louder and also your alarm if/when you set it off.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"