How come? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 Old 12-12-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Thanks mosc, that helped.

Oh and I looked up that magazine with the green STi. It has an estimated 850hp and 650tq. I'm assuming @ the wheels since it's using a GT4202 turbo. It's weird how it's an automatic, but then again, auto's are how you get consistent times. That, and the 4500 stall on the auto It's got a Scion shiftknob of it too for some reason.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Nice link dumdum. I have seen that one before but didnt know where. Thats kind of absurd if you ask me, but then again I like driving my car everyday, so legality is an issue for me.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #18 of 31 Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The main reason is much more fundamental. It's a boxer motor. That means it doesn't handle high RPMs that well. 4G63s and 2JZs put down those absurd numbers by pushing 9000 or even 9500 RPMs. They are precision balanced custom motors indeed but unlike the EJ series, they are not horizontally opposed. The boxer motor would tear itself apart at 9500 rpms. That said, slap some beefier internals in an EJ257 along with a massive turbo and supporting mods and you can easily put down 600-800whp.
Exactly, the EJ257 has a lot of potential but for it to realize that, it takes a lot of carefully thought out and precision built parts.

Quote:
EJ's are just going to top out at ~8500rpms or so. The EJ207 is one of the highest revving inline motors ever with a 8250rpm (that right?) redline but that's because it's one of the few with a forged crank from the factory and other beefy internals.
Umm, isn't the EJ207 a boxer motor? Also, IIRC it revs to 7250 unless I'm thinking of the EJ205 like what the USDM pre-06 WRXs have. But aside from that, you're exactly right. It came with a forged crank, piston rods, and pistons.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #19 of 31 Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
Umm, isn't the EJ207 a boxer motor? Also, IIRC it revs to 7250 unless I'm thinking of the EJ205 like what the USDM pre-06 WRXs have. But aside from that, you're exactly right. It came with a forged crank, piston rods, and pistons.
The EJ207 is the JDM STI engine. USDM 02-05 Rexs have EJ205s. It's that simple.

Edit: Yeah, the EJ207 is still a boxer/horizontially apposed engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
My car gets a little squirrelly in the rain if I stomp it in 1st and 2nd going in a straight line with nobody else around. I bet having that much or more hp would be the same, but on dry pavement
What tires do you have? My car only gets squirrelly with heavy rain. Then again, I am running the blizzaks currently. Which feel more squirrelly in the dry then they do in the rain. Can't wait for some snow.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
yeah, I meant horizontal but I said inline. Sorry for the typo.

Anyway, yes. The EJ207 is JDM only and has a much much higher redline due to some far better internals than anything we see out here.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #21 of 31 Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Not to mention a boxer motor has 4cams that have to be turned instead of 1 or 2 only.This equates to more valvetrain friction = more power robbed.The crank has to turn those as well as other things and we all know how little weight it takes to rob power from the crank.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #22 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 06:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
You own a Subaru?
You called him on it... that's cold

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #23 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
What tires do you have?
Stockers

I just can't make myself throw them away yet because they still have some tread left and they came free with the car

John
07 WRX
post #24 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
You own a Subaru?
hahahahahaha
post #25 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Seriously though...srninjastar said it best. Your not a offical member until you own one.

man show: If the tread is low in the least. I'd get rid of those RE93s. They're crap in the snow and slush. I found that out last year before I got rid of my rex. They work fine in a straight line. Just don't ask them to corner or stop in inclimate weather. Luckly it was just some flat yards next to the road. Because I took it off the road a couple times going slow in snow last year. Should've learned from that experience. Because later in the year, I spun out and hit a curb trying to make it through a slushy on ramp. Admittedly, I wasn't going slow that time because I was rushing to make it to work. I bent the rear crossmember and the rear rim was missing a chunk of metal. I fixed her up at a highly rated body shop and then sold her a few months later after i was sure she was a good as new. I wasn't going to get rid of her. But, the STI envy was too much to bare once I figured i could easy afford it.
post #26 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Isn't the 4G63 block made of cast iron? I'd think it would be able to tolerate higher combustion temps, but not sure how much of an advantage it really is.

Quote:
they can be mounted very low and further back than most other configurations. This makes it ideally suited for AWD, stability, and rally but it is not ideally suited for being a dyno queen.
Isn't that advantage (mounted further back) hindered by the downpipe, intercooler and transmission placement? Because if you take a look at where our engines sit, it's not far back at all. If it weren't for the intercooler, downpipe, etc. it could be mounted a foot or so further back.
post #27 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Compare where and how the subaru is mounted to most other engines of its type. It is a huge difference to the Neon/SRT-4 and the EVO. I know this for a fact since I was checking fluid levels at work once, and have co-workers that own one of each and each pulled to either side and popped their hoods. I for one love the look of our engine bay compared to the other 2 mentioned.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #28 of 31 Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I for one love the look of our engine bay compared to the other 2 mentioned.
I think it looks weird; without an I/C at least. I was checking out my buddy's (i think it's 07) Outback thingy, and they (him and his dad) were talking about getting an STi or swapping on STi turbo, etc. So I checked out under the hood and it looks so open without an TMIC.... I could see everything! They didn't even know where the turbo goes. I had to show em. I love the design though, it's totally unique and coolness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
You called him on it... that's cold
lol, well I ment it in the way of like, fans, lovers of the car type. sure i don't got one yet, but i'm planning and still waiting for the chance. 02-03 wagons suddenly became unpopular to sell or something.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #29 of 31 Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
I dont know the bore and stroke specs on a stock wrx or sti engine but i do know that 1 reason why evo's can rev so high is do to the fact that they have square engines, meaning the bore and stroke of the engine are very similar. this also alows them to produce insaine boost psi etc etc. Yes they are great engines and who gives a damn. when it comes down to it theres nothing like a suby boxter engine. and no other import i know of can produce and engine note like a ej20. just my 2 cents. but id take my stock wrx over any evo anyday.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
FYI 04wrxhart, its boxer not boxter. They call it a boxer because the pistons move side to side like a boxers hands/arms. Porsche calls it a boxter for reasons unknown. Mabey this is where the confusion came from or mabey it was just a typo. The only reason I know is because I used to call it a boxter also until I read the information I just stated above in a magazine article.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!