HID's - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-21-2005, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

choloman05 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to choloman05
What's the difference between the 5000's, 10000's, etc.?? Anyone want to explain the specifics of HID and what you need to brighten up the lights? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
The higher the number is the lights look purple and actually makes the HID's not as bright, the closer you stay to a white color the brighter they will be.

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#18 Old 10-21-2005, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
yeah, if you go onto their site, they will tell you what each color looks like in detail, with pics.

3000k is close to the sun's color. I think 3500k is the closest to daylight. I have 3500k Raybrig halogens in my Civic.

The higher the temp (k/kelvin value), the dimmer the light. For instance, if you want the brightest, you want 3000k which is whitish yellow. The 10000k and 12000k are blue and purplish respectfully. They won't even be as bright as your stock lights. I've seen a few cars with these wierd color kits, and they can barely illuminate the road. I suggest 3000-6000k if you care about seeing what's ahead of you
#19 Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx555 is an unknown
I've read in an article concerning the color temps of HID.
Sorry. Can't remember the article already
It is tested and verified that 5200K is the brightest of all the color temps.
The article also said that 6000k is the best combination of performance and looks.
It no longer has any hint of yellow that is still barely noticeable at 5200K.
I got a Raybrig 5000K kit because it is nearer to the 5200K with max light output.
Hope this helps!
#20 Old 10-22-2005, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

XenonKing is an unknown
The lower the K temperature, the brighter the light. However, the higher up you go in K's, you gain color intensity. That being said, heres a quick description of our kits...

5000K- the 5000K is the brightest of all the kits. It produces a bright white light with a
slight yellowish hue
6000K-6000K is similar to stock Xenons in cars such as BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. They
produce a bright white light with a slight tint of blue.
8000K-Although the 8000K is not as bright as the 6K, it gives off a much bluer light
10000K- The 10K and 12K kits are not found in any stock cars, the 10K produces a deep
blue light approaching violet
12000K- 12K kits gives a violet light, perfect for show cars or if your looking for a unique,
exotic look

The Philips 4300K is comparable to the 5000K McCulloch, and the 6000K is similar to McCulloch's 6K as well. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
#21 Old 10-22-2005, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

brranger is an unknown
Got a question for ya xenonking, i got a 06 wrx, i believe it has the projector style headlight that is a daytime running light, until u turn on your normal headlights and it gets brighter. the high beam is a seperate bulb. how would a hid kit work with this setup.
#22 Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by brranger
Got a question for ya xenonking, i got a 06 wrx, i believe it has the projector style headlight that is a daytime running light, until u turn on your normal headlights and it gets brighter. the high beam is a seperate bulb. how would a hid kit work with this setup.
I think the DRL is just the normal headlight, that is running at like 75-80% capacity. I've noticed the same thing. At night, if you have your E-brake down, the running lights come on, but when you turn on the headlights it gets slightly brighter? I'm pretty sure it's one bulb... since I've upgraded to the Sylvania Silverstars and that's all that was in there, other than the turn signal and "city" lights...
#23 Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Hmmmm, very intriguing. I think i'm going to do the McCullloch 6000k's. What's the difference between the Phillips and the McCullochs?
#24 Old 10-23-2005, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
I would guess that Phillips costs more because people hear the Phillps name all the time while they almost never hear the competitor's name. Just a thought.
#25 Old 10-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by brranger
If the DTRL are the same as the 02-05 you can just unplug them, I had to unplug mine because it was screwing up how the lights came on

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#26 Old 10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

XenonKing is an unknown
McCulloch and Philips are recognized as the top two companies in the market, and quality wise both are very similar. The Philips kits are somewhat smaller in size because they use what is known as an integrated balast, which means that the ignitor is a component within the balast. The McCulloch kits are comprised of the three separate components, bulb, balast, and ignitor. This makes the Philips kits more convenient for motorcycles, but when your installing the kit in a car, you generally have plenty of room for installation. Other than that, the biggest reason for the discrepancy in price is that your paying for the brand name Philips, and company a little bit more well known
#27 Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

choloman05 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to choloman05
Sorry about the slow response guys, I'v been on vacation. Thanks for all the help on the HID's. Soon as car #2 sells, I'll be hooking myself up. PS, do the JDM headlight conversion kits added to a xenon setup really imporve things that much more? I mean, is it really worth it, cause those things are expensive. I know a lot of it is looks.
#28 Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Hah, speaking of integration, I just learned this an hour ago in my CpE class. The integration of chips makes everything smaller, which in turn lowers overall cost. BUT, he's right, you're paying for a brand when it comes to Phillips.

And for those of you that are disabling your DRL... besure to secure the connector... because I ended accidently melting mine on the DP. Oh well, having the DRL option is overrated anyways. !Notfunny!

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#29 Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
i dunno... but my HID install does not look like the top picture... its more like the bottom one. I thought you could only get the top picture with projector headlights?!?!?

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
#30 Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

jrswrx69 is on thin ice
Send a message via Yahoo to jrswrx69
hid

hey xenox king do you have a setup for the hi and low beam on the 06 wrx