HID in OEM foglights on '06 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mikev078 is an unknown
HID in OEM foglights on '06 WRX

Has anyone converted their OEM foglight H3 bulbs to an aftermarket HID kit? If so, which kit did you use and was it fairly easy to install? Where would be the best place to mount the ballast for the fog lights too?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

NITRO is an unknown
May be this?))))
#3 Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've actually been throwing that idea around. I kind of wish I would have done it when I had both of my headlights out when I painted them because you have direct access to the fog light area from above and plenty of room to work as opposed to accessing them from below through the plastic shielding that you have to peel back when you replace the bulb(s). Most HID kits are plug and play, so it should be relatively simple to hook up. I would assume you'd still have to cut little holes through the back of the plastic caps behind the bulbs for the wires to go through. The best place to mount the ballasts is somewhere where they'll be secure and won't become loose and bang against stuff (I highly recommend mounting them somewhere vertically with screws as opposed to horizontally with the double-sided tape they might come with - both of my low beam ballasts were originally mounted that way and over a period of about 2 years, they lost their adhesion and my lights would flicker or temporarily turn off when the ballasts bumped against stuff until I realized that's what was happening and now they're secured nicely with screws) and somewhere were they won't get too wet or especially sit in a puddle of water that might collect when the car sits still. I haven't really looked around closely in that area, but I'm sure you can find a spot that will work. Try to post pics of your install if you go through with it because it might give me the courage to do it myself. I'm currently running Halo Solaris Yellow fog light bulbs and they're getting the job done for now, but I think it might look better if I matched my 5k low beam HIDs.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Anyone who has HIDs in folights clearly has no concept for what foglights are even designed for nor do they have any regard for the safety of other drivers. To put it lightly, they make your foglights 110% useless and your car is now a mobile road hazard.

Just because someone makes knock off parts that fit, it doesn't mean that they should be used. This goes for your headlights as well.
#5 Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Keep in mind that some people don't care about practicality when it comes to certain parts. Sometimes people are more concerned with how things look rather than how they function.

You are correct though, HID fog lights would be a complete waste of money and the glare from them would be dangerous for other drivers. That's partially why I still have yellow bulbs in mine - plus, I'm sort of digging the yellow right now.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I'm just saying, there is a reason that no credible company makes HID foglights, because the light they produce is too intense for their designed purpose.

And yes, then there is also the HUGE amount of glare they produce since there is no cutoff. There is someone by me with a 55w 3500k (yellow) kit in his foglights near me and if you're within almost a mile oncoming towards him you simply can't see because his lights are blinding. I have 100w driving lights, and if I were to return the favor I still think I'd be on the worst end of the deal.

You simple cannot use them for what you're wanting in this thread.
#7 Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
lol, thats some high quality comic strip action right there.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Unlucky_1 is an unknown
hate to say it but the majority of my driving is on dark roads at night, i have the 35w 10,000k hi/low beams in my headlights and the 55w 10,000k bulbs in my driving lights and can see everything that the road has to throw at me. at the risk of being "that guy" that everyone gets pissed at i did all the lighting conversions and couldnt be happier
#9 Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky_1 View Post
hate to say it but the majority of my driving is on dark roads at night, i have the 35w 10,000k hi/low beams in my headlights and the 55w 10,000k bulbs in my driving lights and can see everything that the road has to throw at me. at the risk of being "that guy" that everyone gets pissed at i did all the lighting conversions and couldnt be happier
So at the excuse of doing most of your driving on unlit roads you used HID setups in a temperature range that makes your eyes strain and makes it harder to see?

#10 Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Snoopyslr is an unknown
I have 10000k in my mustang with ebay projectors. The combo is very nice actually. I wired them in with relays and 10g wire, so I dont have to worry about them setting my car on fire.

The lighting is very nice, my only complaint with 10000k is during the rain. My friend has 7000k in his G8 and he can see really well during the rain. His lights are still blueish, but not anywhere near as blue as mine. As for messing up other drivers, make sure your HID's are behind a projector lens. There is a reason that all automotive companies put their HIDs behind them. Its so you dont blind everybody. If you put HID's in a "flashlight" style housing, your going to glare all over the place.
#11 Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyslr View Post
I have 10000k in my mustang with ebay projectors. The combo is very nice actually. I wired them in with relays and 10g wire, so I dont have to worry about them setting my car on fire.

The lighting is very nice, my only complaint with 10000k is during the rain. My friend has 7000k in his G8 and he can see really well during the rain. His lights are still blueish, but not anywhere near as blue as mine. As for messing up other drivers, make sure your HID's are behind a projector lens. There is a reason that all automotive companies put their HIDs behind them. Its so you dont blind everybody. If you put HID's in a "flashlight" style housing, your going to glare all over the place.
The whiter he better you are going to be able to see... and your eyes won't get as tired...

04-05 STi's have reflector based HID equipped headlights...
#12 Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyslr View Post

10,000k is just too hot for HIDs. Anything over 6,000k should not exist. And having projector headlights means nothing. Most projectors produce a LOT of glare (which is not the only problem from running the wrong optics). I guarantee that your Mustang and your friends G8 are pretty bad.
#13 Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Unlucky_1 is an unknown
im not trying to spur any further argument sense some people seem to be getting bent over a bulb color so i'll just throw this out there. And bare in mind this is the same info i've found on several sites.

4000 to 6000(Kelvin) - Emits a pure white light and technically produces the greatest overall visibility in clear weather due to the acuity of the human eye. Most OEM H.I.D lights will come with a 5000K bulb.

8000 to 10,000(Kelvin) - Emits a blue tint the higher the Kelvin’s the darker the blue. It reduces eye strain, provides sharper view and better concentration for night time driving. Many prefer this color because they like the way it makes their car look.

Last edited by Unlucky_1; 09-18-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: revision
#14 Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Yellow light helps reduce eye strain, why do you think yellow colored head lights are used in endurance races such as Le Mans? Why do you think yellow tinted glasses are used by professional sharp shooters?
#15 Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Colors off both sides of the spectrum from white reduce eyestrain, FYI. The best thing about fog lights and driving lights is that you have a handy switch to turn them on or off. Glare can be eliminated, but you have to modify your housing, and it's not NECESSARY to have projectors to use HIDs. Many car manufacturers use non-projector HIDs. Projectors typically do focus the light more evenly on the road though. Anyway, do what you want to do for the fog lights. You can go ahead and install whatever you want, as it's your own customization and don't let anyone else shove their opinion of how they would do their car on you.

If you install them and like them, go 200 yards away from the car at night and see what glare they give off. If they're distracting, I would recommend only using them in the conditions for which they were originally designed. Projectors can give off incredible amounts of glare, as they are designed to allow a small amount of light to reflect up onto street signs. This can be distracting, but not all conversions result in distracting glare. Good luck. I am personally a full supporter of getting the best lighting you can get for your vehicle. I don't want to harm others with them, so I say just be smart about it. Fog lights may not be that distracting in your vehicle. Good luck.