HID kit upgrade...Worth it? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
Question HID kit upgrade...Worth it?

Yo homies.. Im thinkin my next purchase is going to be a HID kit off ebay. Id like to shoot for something around 200 bills hopefully, but dont want no schwag blubs or nothing of the sort. COuld anyone please educate me on what i need to be lookin for...and most importantly how to get them sum'bitches installed. Any help would be much appericated.

I would like a kit exactly like the STi's blubs...a crisp blue.
I drive an 04 WRX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
Save your money now, and when you have enough saved get a projector retrofit. You'll get ridiculously better light, it will look a lot better, and you won't be blinding oncoming drivers.
post #3 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
I had 8000k on my last car. I loved them it was like driving during the day. anything over 10k is not worth it so they say.

projector or not there are cars that come stock with h.i.ds that dont have projector headlights. like old lexus and acuras. they fit just like any other bulb do,no cutting or anything. people claim that ebay h.i.ds last for a few months but I had mine almost one year with active running lights and no issues. now they are on a co-workers car and he loves them.

yes they are brighter then normal lights so on coming drivers will be damning you but no different then h.i.ds that come on the cars I mentioned above.

im ordering my hid headlights and fogs this week.
post #4 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
Ok so dremers...What kid did you use? you have a link or pics or anythin so i could check em? I dont want anything over 8oooK, and im looking for mostly a pulg-and play setup, im not all that good when it comes to heavy duty wiring or dismantling. My buddys Acura TL has stock HID (the purpleish 10oooK im guessing) and they are real nice, but id rather have a bluish like the STi..And i could care less about oncomming traffic, im the dude drivin it. So yea post a link or pics or somethin...
post #5 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
also...rate these for me. only a hundred bills..they cheap??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...spagenameZWDVW
post #6 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
I dont have pics of the kit I had. after I sold them I deleted them off my phone.

connecting the kit wont even take you 20 mins. remove old bulbs plug in the socket from the kit into where the old bulbs plugged into and thats it. that kit looks good they all seeem to be around the same thing.just different packaging.
post #7 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
I wanna get the HID lights like the STI's have but i heard the set-up is like 600 bills if i can get bulbs for my 06 somewhere cause I aint trying to spend 600 bills plus the damn labor. Thanks
post #8 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
why not try one of those ebay kits for 140bucks. you wont be dissapointed.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
so youre sayin that link above is a good kit to buy??? Cause im about to buy them fo reals. But dont you have to remove your headlights to mount the balasts underneath or somethin? how did you go about doin it?
post #10 of 42 Old 02-01-2007, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
they look good to me I would buy them. the balasts comes with hard ware so that you can screw them in and not move. but being that my last car was so limited on space I just zip tied the balasts frame that came with the kit and they were fine. no issues.
post #11 of 42 Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
When you buy these hid's off ebay you dont have to change to diff. lens? Or you just tak the bulb and plug it in and go? thanks

Last edited by Ian; 02-04-2007 at 07:56 PM.
post #12 of 42 Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbs
Ok so dremers...What kid did you use? you have a link or pics or anythin so i could check em? I dont want anything over 8oooK, and im looking for mostly a pulg-and play setup, im not all that good when it comes to heavy duty wiring or dismantling. My buddys Acura TL has stock HID (the purpleish 10oooK im guessing) and they are real nice, but id rather have a bluish like the STi..And i could care less about oncomming traffic, im the dude drivin it. So yea post a link or pics or somethin...
Some basic information to perhaps help you avoid some serious dissapointment after spending that money:

TLs come with HID systems that are some of the best avaialble. The stock capsules are 4300k. The blue you are seeing comes from light bending around the cuttoff shield inside the projector, NOT from the capsule itself. The end result is that you see blue at the cutoff line, but the driver sees white light on the road, thus giving the driver fantastic visability.

The only way to get light like anywhere near the TLs is to do a projector retrofit. Even a properly done HID reflector assembly (like installing a set of STI headlights) won't give you light anywhere near the performance of the TLs.

When you are talking about just sticking some HID bulbs into your original halogen reflectors you're going to get an end result that is worse than the STI because at least the STI has reflector optics designed for HID. You do not and you'll be losing a lot of your availble light upwards (in addition to blinding oncoming traffic). If you take this setup and compare it to you're friend's TLs you're going to walk away disappointed and embarassed.

Finally, going with 8000k bulbs is going to give you a very blue light that is going to perform worse than your original setup. 8000k bulbs are not going to make it easier to see at night, they're just going to make everything blue. 4300k will give you the whitest, brightest light and let you see the best. Going as high as 6000k will reduce your visibility slightly, but will give you blue tinted light. Anything over 6000k and you're just getting dimmer and dimmer lights. If you pop in 8000k bulbs and compare them to someone that had the stock halogen bulbs, you're going to walk away disappointed and embarassed.
post #13 of 42 Old 02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

FlyingDisk is an unknown
Where might one go about geting a set of projectors to do a retrofit?
post #14 of 42 Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
I was looking at ones on www.wooddashexperts.com there 300 dollars for the HID XENON LIGHT SYSTEM and you can pick which color you want like the white, sky blue, or ice blue or something. Let me know what you all think.. thanks
post #15 of 42 Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

DesiSuperman is an unknown
but anyways here this guy on NASIOC that does them for bugeys

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...etrofit+bugeye

Last edited by Ian; 02-04-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement