Subaru WRX Forum banner

HID Kit help

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So im looking to put a hid kit on my car. I got some questions before I do it though. Ive been searching all over the tuner sites and google but i still cant find the answer im looking for. So basically I was about to order some 12k's but are those purple or are they really like a darker blue? Also, im looking at 2 different sites to order from and cant find reviews for but they are:

HID Kits - Xenon Kit - Car Lights

and

HID Kits - HID Lights - HID Headlights

Does anyone know which is better? Im looking for not a purple but not a light blue eather I want a dark blue.

Also one other thing, do I really need another wiring harness if i put these in?

Thanks for your guys help in advance and have a nice day!

#4 ·
Either get a retrofit kit or buy the headlights that are made for HIDs. STI or I think some of the 3rd gen limiteds have HID headlights. Otherwise you're doing everyone else on the road a dis-service with really bad glare. Personally...anyone that wants blue lights on their car needs pulled over for impersonating a officer and its that easy where I live. Any blue light on your car and your not a fire police or police officer means you will get a citation. Deep blue will not happen and 12k temps are purple...fugly purple. 8k are purpleish blue and anything over 6k will actually make your ability to see the road get much worse in rain/snow/fog.

Sorry, to seem rude. But, this question gets asked at least once a month and if people actually searched they'd find the answer. I wish someone would make a HID faq for this forum. If I get bored I might volunteer myself for that.

#5 ·
Lol no worries man I understand I was just asking for your opinion and yea ive been searching but just could find what I was looking for, but thats your choice to believe me or not. But alright cool thanks man ill look into some of that stuff and see whats up!

#6 · (Edited)
Did you search google or this forum? Because this has been asked a lot over the past couple years on this forum. Even threads where people show the difference in what a hid bulb will do in a stock projector lens vs a retrofitted lens that was actually made for HID bulbs. The glare difference is worlds different. Sorry...like I said. I'm not trying to be mean. If you know which path you want to take either retrofitting the stock headlights to accept HIDs or if you just want to swap out your front head light assemblies for the STI headlight assemblies. Let us know...I know there are two different websites that will retrofit your headlights. You just have to ship them your headlights. Which is why some people just buy the headlight assemblies instead.

Again...its a much better idea to not just throw in a HID kit into your stock headlights. I was naive at one point with my 06 WRX TR and did that also. But, people keep doing this and I'm starting to get annoyed at how people glare the crap out of me with their HIDs in a headlight that wasn't made for that bulb. I practically get blinded at times when people install them in their Nissian frontier. I digress...this is where the hate comes from. People that blind me with a cheap and poorly done mod. HIDs done properly are a wonderful upgrade. Which is why I'm trying to stress the right path.

#7 ·
^^^ and not make u look like a conformist to a ricer car. U dont want your beautiful subie to get mistaken for a civic now do you?? Lol thats just my thoughts on them. Id just go to wal mart or pep boys and grab those bright silverstars

Turmic. If u wanna do one ill help

#8 ·
I think the FAQ is in order.
I was surprised not to see the old what to do with the kit install instructions... Lol

Step 1- lift trash lid...... Haha
Step 2- place kit over trash can.......... Too funny;)

Ps. Not picking on the op, in case he's wondering.

#9 ·
I went with the STi headlights in MY07. Couldn't be happier. It's stock and you can get the levelers to work if you are electronically savvy. I dislike the HID "kits" because you have to either separate the lens from the housing or drill into the housing. Both methods are risky, and if not sealed correctly, will let moisture into the headlight. Another option is to send it to someone (like Lightwerkz) to do the retrofit, but that can cost you as much as the STi HID's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.