HID fogs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
HID fogs

Has anyone done a hid conversion for the 55w fogs?? Do you have to get the 55w hid kit or could i just run the normal 35w set up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
People who run HID fogs should be thrown in prison. They neither understand exactly what the purpose of foglights is or how they work nor do they have any regard for other drivers.
#3 Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

First off I live in arizona so there's no fog so I don't need the actual purpose of them I have never scene fog here actually and second I live in the middle of the damn desert not near light etc... every bit of light helps as I'm pretty sure you would understand from texas ide rather not hit something. Also hid fogs are down at the ground so should bother other drivers.. only when people do fogs highs and lows and drive around with them all light up that's being disrespectful. I put hid lows in and actually adjusted my lights down a bit so I wouldn't blind other drivers. Please think a little before you need to open your mouth and be disrespectful. Also I'm here for help not to hear people talk negativily about what I want to do to MY vehicle thanks
#4 Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you obviously have no knowledge of optics at all, HID's in basically any factory Subaru housing are blinding to the oncoming traffic pretty much how ever you point them, THEY CAN NOT PROPERLY FOCUS THE LIGHT

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I have noticed its pretty scattered I'm assuming I must have them decently pointed down I havnt been flashed yet and a little more then half my driving is done in the dark. So I don't think there that bad
#6 Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
Also I'm here for help not to hear people talk negativily about what I want to do to MY vehicle thanks
AKA "only tell me what I WANT to hear". You've gotten helpful advice, but the advice you want to get is not always what you want to be told.

I'm sorry but putting HIDs in the fogs is 10 times works than putting them anywhere else. Foglights scatter a lot more than low beams by design, though with the stock bulbs they emit much lower intensity light. So no matter how low they are the light will still be in other driver's faces.

What you're looking for is driving lights.
#7 Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

well i dont drive around with my fog lights on regularly, only use them when im around my area which there arent many other cars whatsoever so i dont know might just leave them then
#8 Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

NJsupraWRX is an unknown
i had 55w hids in all my lights.. lows, highs and fogs...
after about 6 months i took them out because i had nothing but problems. the fogs would cut out and the high beams were the worst for the car because HIDs are not meant for constant flicking on off of the lights because they need a few seconds to build up heat to fully turn to maximum. the low beams were fine. but i wouldn't recommend 55w for fogs because its such a small area and can heat up with overtime use and can melt your fog housing.
i am back to stock lights now because it was such a headache having them. and i loved the lights because i could see everything on the whole road, but i was blinding everyone.
hope this helped!
#9 Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah thanks there a bit unreliable at times. i pieced the lows together from old ballists and buddies bulbs lol. but yeah 55w just seems like complete overkill and ive been the high route with my old truck and learned that hids dont do good on and off all the time but are nice and bright.
#10 Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
well i dont drive around with my fog lights on regularly, only use them when im around my area which there arent many other cars whatsoever so i dont know might just leave them then
Like I said, you're looking for driving lights, which are long distance, higher powered hi-beams. Foglights only light up a few feet in front of the car.
#11 Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wrxsubie2008 is more helpful than not
Most people don't use the fogs for fog lights our cars sit how low to the ground already. The fog lights don't really do to much in the fog ( my opinion) so if we have em why not make em look good. Also I have hids as my low beams and never been flashed at or anything so the scatter cannot be horrible not to mention my cutoff is not that either.

Just my .02
#12 Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrxsubie2008 View Post
Most people don't use the fogs for fog lights our cars sit how low to the ground already. The fog lights don't really do to much in the fog ( my opinion) so if we have em why not make em look good. Also I have hids as my low beams and never been flashed at or anything so the scatter cannot be horrible not to mention my cutoff is not that either.

Just my .02
Nice, so you're all for doing something that meets your taste in aesthetics for the car even at the expense of others. I suggest you not drive in Virginia. I have 100w driving lights that can more than return the favor.
#13 Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Wrxsubie2008: You don't have a bugeye so your info does not apply to us, I'm sorry your fog lights suck but our (us with bugeyes) fog lights actually do help, And don't drive in Maryland either cops will pull you over and slap you with a nice ticket for your HIDs THAT DO BLIND PEOPLE (not our fault people are too stupid to flash you)

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
So much Subaru anger! HID in a fog housing is somewhat fail, both for function and for other drivers, as has been said driving lights are what you want if you want to "see the road", fogs are based on dispersing light so the reflection from the mist doesn't kill you.
Entertaining thread though, not sure where all the angst is coming from, someone must have a late drive home with some HID's coming at them every night.
#15 Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

not really, I'm just sick of this topic it comes up roughly once a month and people are too stupid to research

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt