Subaru WRX Forum banner

head unit replacement question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RoboTuner 
#1 ·
searched forum and couldnt find too much on this....

i want to replace stock HU (2012 wrx). i want a direct replacement that wont require any new bluetooth microphones or PAC adapters for steering wheel audio controls, etc. I just want a replacement that has 3 pairs of rca outputs for an amp. single or double din, doesnt matter to me.

clean install is a requirement, and adding a microphone and other sh*t ruins it for me. i want plug and play.

Anyone know if this exists??

#3 ·
Yea-tried it. I have a pretty extensive history with crutchfield. Just can't seem to find a replacement that works.

As an aside note, I also can't seem to find a head unit that doesn't look like a 16 year old wants it. Not much out there has clean lines and simple display. Kinda like a 1999 bmw 740 interior-buttons everywhere.

Ugh.

#5 ·
Yea-tried it. I have a pretty extensive history with crutchfield. Just can't seem to find a replacement that works.
Just had to ask the stupid questions ;)

As an aside note, I also can't seem to find a head unit that doesn't look like a 16 year old wants it. Not much out there has clean lines and simple display.
I feel your pain there....

#4 ·
Yeah Thats kindof the pain of the auto audio industry, its either stupid expensive stupid complicated or it look slike a LED lightshow for a high school senior. If your looking for RCA outputs there are ways to run high level pass through but for the cleanest quality sound your best bet would be to grab one of the All screen units like the apple car play or android auto units. They tend to have pretty simple lines and clean looking buttons but the downside is that they will use pac connections and external microphones. As far as install is concerned steering wheel integration isnt bad with most of the android auto units ive used in the past and the microphones they provide fit pretty well in the stock mic location ( by your right knee if Im not mistaken )

I know its not what you want to hear but those head units fit the style bill pretty well, its just a few more minutes of connecting cables to get the wheel controls back and the mic run is pretty short on our cars.

#7 ·
To keep steering wheel controls you NEED the adapter but they're SO easy to connect and setup (15 minutes). The HUs that have built in mics are usually crap quality in every way so just don't bother, and for simple/clean looks of the face/UI I always recommend Pioneer. They have some of the nicest HUs for the price, most are BT/HD Radio/3-pair RCA and come with a mic, not to mention USB and the ability to upgrade down the road (gps/etc). The UI isn't obnoxious like JVC/Kenwood/Generics and also the RCA pre-outs are between 2v-4v for best signal to the amp(s), I plan do get their AVH4100/4200 down the road simply because it has anything I could actually use while not breaking the bank.

Pioneer also makes (or made) an amazing 1DIN HU that was in their "Pro" line of equipment, but for something simple and "elegant" with the highest quality of anything under $600 you would have to spend $1400 for something similar. *(I searched and I think they only did a limited run and they have a habit of making "outdated" hardware a pain to find.)

Anyway, if you know how to use wire cutters/crimpers/***** (strippers hehe) and have good quality electrical tape then you should be able to wire it up in under 2 hours (dash should be out prior and 2 hours is from start up to tuning the system).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.