Gold wheel paint? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boostspike is more helpful than not
Gold wheel paint?

So im thinking of painting my stockers gold but don't know the best paint to use
Has anyone used the grimmspeed paint? they say it's closest to BBS gold which i would like.
photos would be awesome if anyone has some they did themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Trust grimmspeed.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I had a similar thought recently: I wonder what my stock wheels would look like painted bright red - like red enough to almost perfectly match the red brake calipers. Then I thought maybe I should get them powdercoated instead of painting them so the finish lasts longer. Then I thought about how I would be able to drive it without any wheels/tires for a period of time. Then I decided not to do anything. But bright red wheels would still look pretty unique I think.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have seen a rather eye burning red on an RS around here, and he runs around with a guy that has a neon blue set of rims on his RS.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...but does the red set look ok or no? The thing is, I tend to pay close attention to details and I want to do a really good job on them. I think if I go the paint route, (1) it will be less expensive, (2) I can do it any time I want in my driveway, (3) I don't have to worry about taking the tires off to do it, and (4) I can always switch the color any time I want, but (4) the finish might not be as durable and will probably end up cracking and looking horrible after a little time. If I go the powdercoat route, (1) it will probably be more expensive than painting, (2) I'd have to take the tires off and then I won't be able to drive the car until they're done, (3) I don't know if the center caps can be powdercoated or not since I think they might be plastic, so that could look funny, (4) powdercoating is known to weaken the structure of wheels slightly, but that's not a huge issue since I'm not doing any competitive racing, and (5) powdercoating is probably extremely hard to remove if I ever decide I want to change the color, so the shade has to be exactly right and that's a gamble. I've really been thinking about this and I think I've covered just about all the issues that concern me. It seems like it's really just going to be a huge hassle. It might be best if I just wait until I can afford a nice new set of summer tires/wheels and then I can do whatever I want with the stockers while they're off the car. That's what I came up with for now anyway. Or maybe I should spray paint them desert beige to match my interior!!?!

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 11:08 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
To be honest the rims were alrite. They were the only vibrant thing on the car. Stock body and spoiler, dont know about the inside. It was too much for me, but still done tastefully I think. But I think you have the right idea by just waiting until you get your second set of rims. That way you have all the time in the world to mess around with a color scheme and see what you do or do not like.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boostspike is more helpful than not
i wouldn't paint them red but thats up to you manshow i want to get them powdercoated but there isn't a place near where i live plus i don't have another car to drive while they're being coated
ill try the grimmspeed paint in a week or two if it ever stops raining in the northeast
thanks for the input
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Good luck and be sure to post some pics if/when you do it.

John
07 WRX