gauge advice please!? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

subaruwrx16 is an unknown
gauge advice please!?

alright so its time that i buy some gauges !!! i want the three gauges on the piller but i dont know what brand to get, i know i want them to be digital though. does anyone know of any digital gauges that work really good and arent outrageously expensive??? i looked at the AEM ones but i cant afford over 200 bucks per gauge!!! any advice is appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
What you want is expensive. Penny up.

Keep in mind that digital is not always the best choice for all gauges, some have slow refresh rates and they don't show rapid changes as well.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Okay haha so what would you recommend!?
post #4 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do you know which 3 you want on the pillar?

Look at Defi and Maddad

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Prosport is another option. I have three in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod (boost, oil pressure, and egt). I realize they're not the most accurate gauges in the world, but they look decent. White during the day and green at night to match the stock WRX instrument cluster. The green at night is significantly brighter than the dash lights, but I like it. I've been told it gives my face a green glow when it's pitch black.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Summit...seriously they work friggin great for me and they are only a 2.5hr drive to get for me.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Prosport is another option. I have three in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod (boost, oil pressure, and egt). I realize they're not the most accurate gauges in the world, but they look decent. White during the day and green at night to match the stock WRX instrument cluster. The green at night is significantly brighter than the dash lights, but I like it. I've been told it gives my face a green glow when it's pitch black.
Prosports are god awful. They fail all. the. time. And an inaccurate gauge is a gauge not doing its only job...what it was designed to do.

Also,
The Truth about Prosport Gauges, Former Employee - NASIOC
post #8 of 18 Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ah nastysock...always inspiring positive attitudes. But, it is good to know the other side of the coin from time to time.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #9 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I read that guy's rant and I'm sure there's some truth to it. It seems to me that it's a case where "people don't quit companies, they quit managers."

Despite their relative inaccuracy and liklihood to fail, Prosport gauges are still an option if you don't want to spend an obscene amount of money on gauges. I got mine for looks more than monitoring anyway, so I'm just happy with how well they match the stock WRX dash gauges. One day, my boost gauge stopped working and I thought the sensor failed, but it turns out it was the gauge itself, so I did have to replace that once. Fortunately, everything was already wired, so I just had to unclip a few clips and pop the new one in so it was a pretty easy fix. Other than that, they've worked for over a year and 20k+ miles.

I also have the Premium Series (Peak/Warning) for all three if that makes any difference.

I agree, Defi gauges are far superior to Prosports, but the difference will cost you.

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice car = nice stuff

IMHO

Do it right/once

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've run three prosport gauges for over 3 years now. They match the stock gauges nicely, but the sweeper motors are slow to respond, so they don't accurately measure boost. Oil pressure and voltage are fine since they don't move alot and can move slowly.

If they're just for decoration, prosport can be fine. If you're looking to really montior things while you're driving, which is hard since you should be looking at the road, Defi are much more accurate.

Anyway, my real advice is to avoid the pillar mounted solution. At night they will reflect in your side window making it difficult to see what's out your window when turning left. Cops can also see them and find them annoying when they're blue. A friend got pulled over for his blue gauges on the pillar.

Go with a dash mounted solution. Personally the WRXtra modified OEM pod is a really slick unit.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #12 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks everyone I appreciate it, I want the oil pressure boost and either the EGT or oil temp gauges, along with the looks I also would like them to work accurately as well, I read a article on nasioc once that said inaccurate gauges is like cooking a cake in the oven without knowing the temp hah !! :eek:Nthe only reason that I wanted the pillar pod is because the little clips are broken that hold my stock pillar up so if imwas going to replace it I was going to get the pillar pods, but I will consider the dash pods as well, thanks again!!!!
post #13 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruwrx16 View Post
Thanks everyone I appreciate it, I want the oil pressure boost and either the EGT or oil temp gauges, along with the looks I also would like them to work accurately as well, I read a article on nasioc once that said inaccurate gauges is like cooking a cake in the oven without knowing the temp hah !! :eek:Nthe only reason that I wanted the pillar pod is because the little clips are broken that hold my stock pillar up so if imwas going to replace it I was going to get the pillar pods, but I will consider the dash pods as well, thanks again!!!!
Pillar pods don't replace the pillars, they just go over them.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Boost, Oil pressure, Quartz clock the only 3 gauges you'll ever need...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #15 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
So the flux capacitor gauge I got is a no go? lol

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"