Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   gauge advice please!? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/gauge-advice-please-32784/)

subaruwrx16 07-22-2012 07:56 PM

gauge advice please!?

alright so its time that i buy some gauges !!! i want the three gauges on the piller but i dont know what brand to get, i know i want them to be digital though. does anyone know of any digital gauges that work really good and arent outrageously expensive??? i looked at the AEM ones but i cant afford over 200 bucks per gauge!!! any advice is appreciated thanks!

brfatal 07-22-2012 10:04 PM

What you want is expensive. Penny up. ;)

Keep in mind that digital is not always the best choice for all gauges, some have slow refresh rates and they don't show rapid changes as well.

subaruwrx16 07-23-2012 01:56 AM

Okay haha so what would you recommend!?

pzr2874 07-23-2012 05:35 AM

Do you know which 3 you want on the pillar?

Look at Defi and Maddad

man show 07-23-2012 07:06 PM

Prosport is another option. I have three in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod (boost, oil pressure, and egt). I realize they're not the most accurate gauges in the world, but they look decent. White during the day and green at night to match the stock WRX instrument cluster. The green at night is significantly brighter than the dash lights, but I like it. I've been told it gives my face a green glow when it's pitch black.

psinuse 07-23-2012 08:43 PM

Summit...seriously they work friggin great for me and they are only a 2.5hr drive to get for me. :)

brfatal 07-23-2012 09:15 PM

[quote=man show;282845]Prosport is another option. I have three in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod (boost, oil pressure, and egt). I realize they're not the most accurate gauges in the world, but they look decent. White during the day and green at night to match the stock WRX instrument cluster. The green at night is significantly brighter than the dash lights, but I like it. I've been told it gives my face a green glow when it's pitch black.[/quote]

Prosports are god awful. They fail all. the. time. And an inaccurate gauge is a gauge not doing its only job...what it was designed to do.

Also,
[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2355227]The Truth about Prosport Gauges, Former Employee - NASIOC[/url]

turmic 07-23-2012 09:42 PM

Ah nastysock...always inspiring positive attitudes. But, it is good to know the other side of the coin from time to time.

man show 07-24-2012 07:58 AM

Yeah, I read that guy's rant and I'm sure there's some truth to it. It seems to me that it's a case where "people don't quit companies, they quit managers."

Despite their relative inaccuracy and liklihood to fail, Prosport gauges are still an option if you don't want to spend an obscene amount of money on gauges. I got mine for looks more than monitoring anyway, so I'm just happy with how well they match the stock WRX dash gauges. One day, my boost gauge stopped working and I thought the sensor failed, but it turns out it was the gauge itself, so I did have to replace that once. Fortunately, everything was already wired, so I just had to unclip a few clips and pop the new one in so it was a pretty easy fix. Other than that, they've worked for over a year and 20k+ miles.

I also have the Premium Series (Peak/Warning) for all three if that makes any difference.

I agree, Defi gauges are far superior to Prosports, but the difference will cost you.

pzr2874 07-24-2012 09:29 AM

Nice car = nice stuff

IMHO

Do it right/once

blk05WRX 07-24-2012 02:30 PM

I've run three prosport gauges for over 3 years now. They match the stock gauges nicely, but the sweeper motors are slow to respond, so they don't accurately measure boost. Oil pressure and voltage are fine since they don't move alot and can move slowly.

If they're just for decoration, prosport can be fine. If you're looking to really montior things while you're driving, which is hard since you should be looking at the road, Defi are much more accurate.

Anyway, my real advice is to avoid the pillar mounted solution. At night they will reflect in your side window making it difficult to see what's out your window when turning left. Cops can also see them and find them annoying when they're blue. A friend got pulled over for his blue gauges on the pillar.

Go with a dash mounted solution. Personally the WRXtra modified OEM pod is a really slick unit.

[IMG]http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mvqDUvnSMmU/Ssq7XtbQnUI/AAAAAAAAASg/nYBYfnGxVdw/s912/IMG_0344.JPG[/IMG]

subaruwrx16 07-24-2012 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone I appreciate it, I want the oil pressure boost and either the EGT or oil temp gauges, along with the looks I also would like them to work accurately as well, I read a article on nasioc once that said inaccurate gauges is like cooking a cake in the oven without knowing the temp hah !! :eek:Nthe only reason that I wanted the pillar pod is because the little clips are broken that hold my stock pillar up so if imwas going to replace it I was going to get the pillar pods, but I will consider the dash pods as well, thanks again!!!!

brfatal 07-24-2012 03:30 PM

[quote=subaruwrx16;282913]Thanks everyone I appreciate it, I want the oil pressure boost and either the EGT or oil temp gauges, along with the looks I also would like them to work accurately as well, I read a article on nasioc once that said inaccurate gauges is like cooking a cake in the oven without knowing the temp hah !! :eek:Nthe only reason that I wanted the pillar pod is because the little clips are broken that hold my stock pillar up so if imwas going to replace it I was going to get the pillar pods, but I will consider the dash pods as well, thanks again!!!![/quote]

Pillar pods don't replace the pillars, they just go over them.

psinuse 07-24-2012 04:32 PM

Boost, Oil pressure, Quartz clock the only 3 gauges you'll ever need...

newtothegame 07-24-2012 05:19 PM

So the flux capacitor gauge I got is a no go? lol