Garmin mounting ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garmin mounting ?

I'm now in New England now and finally have the need for NAV help. Got myself a Garmin Nuvi 1300LMT and am using the weighted pad on top of the dash. Has anybody here done a custom mount on a '02-'05 dash ? Show me your pics please

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm really happy with my weighted pad and I have no intention of custom mounting my unit, but I'm still curious to see what creative mounting solutions other people have come up with. Bring on the pics!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I use the suction cup...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So exquisite. I just bought a new nuvi...went from my 4+ year old 200 nuvi to a 1450LMT nuvi

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
In dash ftw, just saying, lol. But seriously my wife uses the suction cup in her 05 WRX.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

NJJer is an unknown
On my '11 I have my Satt radio mounted in front of the little pocket in the center under the climate controls. I was going to put my GPS there, but I hardly use it.

The sat radio in front of the pocket and when the lights are on, the LED in the pocket and lighted STI light under it make it look like it is floating in the air.
#6 Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I am feeling quite smug and sheepish at the same time, as the perfect solution was under my nose the whole time, since I always use a regulation hockey puck as a cushion when using a jack under the car. I was getting a little tired of testing my reflexes by catching the Garmin whenever I accelerated.

It turns out that a brand new, regulation size 6 oz. disc of vulcanized rubber (used to play the only worthwhile sport outside of motor racing) is a perfect fit in the center dash drink holder. The puck is a perfect fit, since it allows the drink holder to be pushed in enough for the base arm to retract upwards, leaving enough room to still load CD's into the 6 disc changer (factory stereo) Garmin's suction cup grabs the biscuit firmly providing a nice platform.

I tried a $5.00 candle in a jar (from target) with a little padding around it, which sat nicely in the holder, but needed some extra shimming to prevent rotating. Then, after a few ounces of Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon 80 proof corn distillate, it dawned on me that the perfect diameter (and depth) disc for the job was already commonly manufactured. Ka-frickin'-Pow !! Game on !Laugh!

Sorry to not post pics, you'll have to try it for yourself

The beauty is that the nav sits below the windshield, but close enough to touch and the only thing sacrificed is one dash vent which is usually blowing too much cold or hot at my passenger.

BTW, the nuvi1300 already was acting up, so I traded it in on the replacement model with Best Buy (forgot the number) Back to my adult beverage

Cullen
#7 Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
like Josh, In Dash FTW...but in the mazda I bough a mount that clips to the A/C vent

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What's navigation for ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Drive to New England and you'll understand

Cullen
#10 Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
haha you don't even have to make it to New England, anywhere north of Jersey can be pretty confusing

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#11 Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Seriously....even northern Jersey is confusing. I was there a couple weeks back to go to NYC for a couple days and it was a pain to figure out which exit ramp or entrance ramp to take some times.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

and Jersey is cake compared to NY, CT, NH, VT, RI, or MA

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM

There is irony in needing a NAV here. The roads are so screwy due to their age, predating motor vehicle travel by a couple hundred years, but the cultural history of New England and age of the roads is relatively short compared to where I was living for the last twenty years in northern New Mexico. I never needed help finding my way around roads that were 400 to 1000 years old.

Cullen
#14 Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bahh... Sissies.

I do agree, NY was a bit confusing... but what roads aren't if you haven't been there in years or even ever been to the area.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm from the NY area and still get confused, but there also isn't a single straight road in Scarsdale so that might have something to do with it, I'm fine navigating NYC though with its nicely well thought out grid with names that make sense

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt