Factory Stereo Wiring? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Factory Stereo Wiring?

I have my 5.25's in my doors correctly now but they sound "capped." Anyone know if there is any kind of audio filtering done in the wiring from the factory? Do I need to run new wiring to my doors to get full range in my speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Have I stumped you guys?
#3 Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
There is no doubt you would see improvement by replacing the wiring in an amped system. However, there is no reason they should be capped otherwise. More info on your set up? Deck? Amp? Speakers? What are you playing with here?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Deck is a double din 7" monitor with no name brand I can find. 160 watt output it says. the 5.25's are Infinity coaxuals (SP?) running off the deck for now. I have an old Rockford Fosgate amp running my subs which is a DUAL brand bandpass box with two 12's in it
#5 Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Vew

When you are looking at power, RMS is the only thing that matters. Peak power doesn't tell much at all. I highly doubt it will be 160watt RMS, especially on some generic brand. Did everything work correctly before? Or are the speakers the newest addition? Did you buy them new? Do these speakers have an external crossover? If they do and you wired them correctly or if you don't even have them wired in at all it will cause you problems. Does the head unit power the factory speakers just fine?

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
I am with Vew. A little more info would be nice. Are you sure the speakers are not blown? I am not sure what yo mean by capped? They sound muffled? I installed a compenent set of Infinity's in my 05 using the exsiting wiring and used an amp and they sounded fine. (never got around to upgrading the door wires and then my amp took a dump). Also if it is a no name deck, there could be low end components in the deck causing problems.
Do you have any other speakers you could hook up to the deck and see what they sound like? I would help eliminate the deck or tell us it IS the deck.
Good Luck
#7 Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
The deck is new. The speakers were in the car when I bought it and sounded the same with the Blaupunct deck that was replaced. By capped, I mean that they sound like someone put a capacitor inline to filter out the lows from getting to the speaker. I'm sure it's not the deck BTW. I have almost the same exact deck in my truck and it sounds fine. I guess what I need to do is run a test wire bypassing the factory wire. Then I'll know for sure
#8 Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Vew

Have you taken apart your door panel to look at what's going on back there? Do you have a tweeter built into the center of the speaker or located separately else where? At this moment, it sounds like someone hooked up crossovers to your speaker incorrectly since it's happening to both speakers. You won't be able to tell until you take it apart.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#9 Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

OK, My guess would be the same as what Vew stated. Sounds like the speaker may be hooked up wrong. I have speakers that have external crossovers (I hid them behind the door). This couldbe the problem.
#10 Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
I've had the door panels off and seen the crapy install someone did and fixed it. The speakers like I said are coaxels (speaker and tweeter). I didn't see any kind of a crossover or anything similar anywhere. Gonna run bypass wires and see what happens
#11 Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Vew

When you say speaker and tweeter, do you mean combined into one unit, or separate, located in two separate areas?

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#12 Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
I mean a coaxial. not a component system
#13 Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
So to get this back on track, Subaru didn't put any kind of a cross over in with the factory component speakers in the front doors? Doesn't matter what I have in there now, wondering about the factory stuff
#14 Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

No factory crossover that I am aware of. When I looked in the WRX manual I have all it shows is a 5.25 in the door (nothing about the tweeter). So I guess there could be one a cross over inline somewhere.
I installed a new deck and used the exsiting wires for my new tweeter and my 5.25 in the door and everything worked fine. Have you attempted to hook up the speakers directly to the deck to see what happens. I would think that if the speakers work fine directly hooked up to the deck (or a differnt deck) that would mean there is an inline crossover. That is what I would do.
Sorry I am not much help.
#15 Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
I haven't tried that yet. Haven't had the time to take everything apart to see how it goes. That's the next step and will be the tell all

Thanks for all the replies people