Subaru WRX Forum banner

Factory Speaker Size?

43K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Kapt 
#1 ·
I recently bought an '04 STi. I love it!! The only problem I had was the stereo in it. Someone removed the factory deck and replaced it with a Blaupunkt. Normally this would be nice, but it got no reception and the CD skipped. So I replaced the Blaupunkt with a different deck. In the process of this I discovered this guy did a complete hack job for the install. There were house wire-nuts holding wires together and I'm actually surprised it even worked. So I decided I better see what he did to the speakers. Guess what. More hack job!! The speakers are aftermarket ones held in with wood screws and spaced away from the door with multiple washers and a piece of Styrofoam. The factory tweeters have been removed, but the wire's still there. So that brings me to the question I have. What kind, or size rather, are the the factory speakers? The hole in the door looks like a 5x7, or a 4x6 maybe? Anyone know?

#4 ·
Yup. Check out nasioc for a tutorial on upgrading/ switching over to a more standard six inch. I think you have to cut the hole bigger and make a wooden baffle. Not sure as I haven't done it yet, but planning it very soon. The advantage to a six is more options for speakers with a more standard size. Check nasioc, there are several write ups.

#7 ·
offset’s Car Audio Manifesto and FAQ - NASIOC

More importantly -
14. What size speakers fit in the front doors of the Impreza? What size speakers fit in the rear of my Impreza? What speakers that fit in the front doors with NO modification to the metal (speaker and spacer only)?
There were a bunch of links, but they didn't copy over real well. But, you get the general idea what section to look under.

#10 ·
FYI - when you replace your deck make sure to hook up the power ant lead (should be blue). Your car has a power ant in the rear windsheild and without the power ant lead hooked up, you might not get reception. Which would be my guess as to why there was no radio reception before.

#13 ·
Wait.. factory rear speaker door size is 4" unless I had a lapse of memory or something. You can get up to a 6.5" speaker to fit into both doors with effort and a lot of cutting on the back doors. Oh, and there should be 2 blue wires. Don't confuse them and hook up the wrong one.

#15 ·
This is just pulling everything from memory. Factory: front 5.25, rear 4.

Depending how much you modify with/without spacers and/or cutting, you can fit 6.5" in the front AND rear. I know this, because I did it. The only reason I put 6.5" in the rear was just to say I did since it was my part time job. It's not really necessary to have rear speakers that size.

Fitting 6.5" in the front wasn't too difficult. Getting the crossovers and new tweeters mounted was a little bit of work. Cutting all that metal for the rear door with an airsaw for such big speakers was a PITA. Wish I had ear plugs at the time.

#16 ·
Vew is right. 4" in the back 5.25 in the front. I only replaced my fronts and it sounds fine to me (but I am in the front :) )
About the 2 blue wires... one is a power ant wire and the other is a remote turn on (for the amp). Either should work, just might have to turn on the remote turn on wire in the settings of the deck.

#18 ·
also just a heads up i put new speakers in my old 350z and a friends car as well which needed to be spaced far out so it wouldnt hit the window.. If your not gunna use the stock speakers and there trash cut the speaker out (most are made of walmart construction paper lol) use the stock spacer on both cars it worked great. Not sure about these cars i havnt messed with speakers yet just the deck also if he went that ghetto on the radio make sure to check the rest of the car and stuff done to it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.