Factory Speaker Size? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Factory Speaker Size?

I recently bought an '04 STi. I love it!! The only problem I had was the stereo in it. Someone removed the factory deck and replaced it with a Blaupunkt. Normally this would be nice, but it got no reception and the CD skipped. So I replaced the Blaupunkt with a different deck. In the process of this I discovered this guy did a complete hack job for the install. There were house wire-nuts holding wires together and I'm actually surprised it even worked. So I decided I better see what he did to the speakers. Guess what. More hack job!! The speakers are aftermarket ones held in with wood screws and spaced away from the door with multiple washers and a piece of Styrofoam. The factory tweeters have been removed, but the wire's still there. So that brings me to the question I have. What kind, or size rather, are the the factory speakers? The hole in the door looks like a 5x7, or a 4x6 maybe? Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
5 1/4"
post #3 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Thank you. Front and back doors the same size?
post #4 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yup. Check out nasioc for a tutorial on upgrading/ switching over to a more standard six inch. I think you have to cut the hole bigger and make a wooden baffle. Not sure as I haven't done it yet, but planning it very soon. The advantage to a six is more options for speakers with a more standard size. Check nasioc, there are several write ups.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #5 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Will do. Thanks for the tip
post #6 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
When I replaced the front speakers in my 05 WRX I had to use some rubber washers (Got them in the appliance section at a local gas station ) so the replement speaker did not hit the window. That is why that guy put in the washer. Good Luck!
post #7 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
offset’s Car Audio Manifesto and FAQ - NASIOC

More importantly -
Quote:
14. What size speakers fit in the front doors of the Impreza? What size speakers fit in the rear of my Impreza? What speakers that fit in the front doors with NO modification to the metal (speaker and spacer only)?
There were a bunch of links, but they didn't copy over real well. But, you get the general idea what section to look under.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #8 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunk007 View Post
When I replaced the front speakers in my 05 WRX I had to use some rubber washers (Got them in the appliance section at a local gas station ) so the replement speaker did not hit the window. That is why that guy put in the washer. Good Luck!
Oh I understand why he did it. I just don't understand why he did it the way he did it. Hokey is a word that comes to mind

Thanks for the replies and the link everyone
post #9 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

kelvin is an unknown
I never done it so no experience about it so thanks to other members for their great replies.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
FYI - when you replace your deck make sure to hook up the power ant lead (should be blue). Your car has a power ant in the rear windsheild and without the power ant lead hooked up, you might not get reception. Which would be my guess as to why there was no radio reception before.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good point^ I went the lentgth of ownership on my last STi without radio reception because of this

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #12 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunk007 View Post
FYI - when you replace your deck make sure to hook up the power ant lead (should be blue). Your car has a power ant in the rear windsheild and without the power ant lead hooked up, you might not get reception. Which would be my guess as to why there was no radio reception before.

Thank you! I didn't know that. I'll take a look. It's getting reception, but not really good reception
post #13 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Wait.. factory rear speaker door size is 4" unless I had a lapse of memory or something. You can get up to a 6.5" speaker to fit into both doors with effort and a lot of cutting on the back doors. Oh, and there should be 2 blue wires. Don't confuse them and hook up the wrong one.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #14 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kapt is an unknown
Great. Now I'm confused
post #15 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
This is just pulling everything from memory. Factory: front 5.25, rear 4.

Depending how much you modify with/without spacers and/or cutting, you can fit 6.5" in the front AND rear. I know this, because I did it. The only reason I put 6.5" in the rear was just to say I did since it was my part time job. It's not really necessary to have rear speakers that size.

Fitting 6.5" in the front wasn't too difficult. Getting the crossovers and new tweeters mounted was a little bit of work. Cutting all that metal for the rear door with an airsaw for such big speakers was a PITA. Wish I had ear plugs at the time.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae