Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Factory amp/sub/spkr upgrade (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/factory-amp-sub-spkr-upgrade-1401/)

BlackWagon 03-02-2003 11:46 AM

Factory amp/sub/spkr upgrade

I'll be ordering an '03 WRX soon, and I was wondering if the factory upgraded sound system is worth the money (@ $350). If anyone has this, how does it sound? Are the dollars better spent on an aftermarket system +labor? I'm not looking to shake the whole neighborhood, I just want to produce some quality, undistorted sound. Thanks.

-Sean

wrPearlBlu 03-03-2003 05:47 PM

its ok, i dont really know what your looking for. but if you are looking to play music with alot of bass in it i would look into something aftermarket. if there is anyone you know or any dealership that has a WRX with the upgraded system just ask them if you can drop a cd in and see how it sounds yourself.

PPower 03-03-2003 07:48 PM

The general consensus tends to be that it's not worth it. The 350 would be better spent on buying some aftermarket speakers for the doors, a small amp, a line out converter [url]www.davidnavone.com[/url] , and some sound deadening material for the doors. The sound deadener seals the doors to keep the back wave of the speaker from canceling out the front and thus improving the bass response. Speakers are needed more for the front than the back since you should really have the fade mostly to the front. That would be a really decent start, and you could add a sub later if you felt it was needed.

WizzD 03-03-2003 07:58 PM

I've got the sub/amp package but no the speaker upgrade in my '03. I've got an after market radio installed (Sony CDX-M730) and I think the sound is good. It's not the 2 10" JL subs with a rockford punch amp that I had in my other car but I didn't want the extra weight and kinda' grew out of the stage where I didn't care if I had no room in the trunk. The Sub/amp package with the Sony unit I have sounds really good. I did look into getting after market speakers in the doors and they would cost around $300-$400. I'd rather put that into something else. Hope this helps!

conejo 03-15-2003 03:16 PM

I dont have a rex yet, how bad is the roadnoise?

natorade 03-15-2003 08:30 PM

I have a question regarding the line output converter stated above. I currently have the subwoofer upgrade and would like to remove it and put in a sub and amp that i currently own. Is there a line output converter that will covert the current sub wires to wires that can be used on my amp/sub? If so, can you tell me which model i need from the website posted above? I am not very familar with them. Thanks.

natorade

spacejunki 03-18-2003 02:45 PM

I just got a 2003 WRX and didn't get the upgraded speakers. After driving the car for a day, I noticed that it sounded like crap. So, I went to Circuit City and had them install me some new speakers. The sound is better but is still missing some quality. If I were to do it over again, I'd go all aftermarket, because the speakers are not the weak link. It must be the factory tuner. Of course, I don't know about the upgraded speakers. They may be just fine. I am having the factory subwoofer put in later this week. I ordered it when I got the car.