evo or sti - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

denverliciou is an unknown
evo or sti

ok guys ive been gathering alot of info on both cars..and they seem to me VERY close..but i know there are some experts out there that would know alot more than i. can you guys please inform me on the differences and why i should pick one over there other. thanks..i need to know cause im picking out a car at the end of the month and i must decide soon!! thank again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
search, its been beaten to death, even on forums that have nothing to do with either car.
#3 Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
They both have their advantages. Evo has better handling, STi has more power & displacement to work with. The 4G63 has been around forever and takes to mods nicely. They are two evenly matched cars. I would have to choose a STi however, but my choice is a little biased. Both cars are great and either choice you make I am sure you will be happy.
#4 Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Well, look at where you are posting this question....

I personally love the STi. I have nothing against the EVO, but since the STi is the same price (sometimes cheaper) it's really a no-brainer for me. The STi is faster, handles better, and looks better.

Of course, if you go to DSMTuners.com or EVOTuners.net and ask this question, guess what the answer will be?
#5 Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
STi is faster, looks better, and has better exhaust note, better interior.

Evo has more potential, better handling, and is cheaper from what I've seen.

Personally I'd go STi.
#6 Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bullit is an unknown
I have grown to respect the EVO but I love the STi. The EVO is fast as all hell, but it just looks a little to bulky for me in the rear. EVO interior is plain and plastic feeling and looks like a typical Mitsubishi, and the STi interior is alot more refined and comfortable. With the performance being so close, I'd go STi everytime.
#7 Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
I would go with the EVO.

Che
#8 Old 02-05-2005, 02:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Id have to say EVO.... Yeah i have a WRX and a DSM but the EVO MR is just so damn sexy
#9 Old 02-05-2005, 03:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

THEWORX is an unknown
I would go with the EVO. It has way more potential. If you are looking for a lot of power go with the 4G63. I wish I did, my wrx is too slow for me. I have a whopping 268 whp with a VF34 (dynojet research). I am either selling my WRX for an EVO or completly rebuilding the engine. The only down side to the EVO is its drivetrain, specifically the clutch. I would wait for the 2006 EVO though.
#10 Old 02-05-2005, 09:16 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
We are talking about the regular EVO here I think. Now if it was MR or STi, I think I'd go MR.
#11 Old 02-06-2005, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

ssstuds is an unknown
I just recently went through the same decision (actually it was either WRX, EVO MR, or STI). I had to decide if the extra 10k for the STI or EVO were worth it, of course we all want what those two super cars have but do we really need it?

I've been a huge DSM fan forever, I have two turbo awd talons and one NT talon. So I've put a lot of time and money into the 4g63t's and have been overall happy with them. Where else can you get a car that performs like one of the 1G dsm's for $3,000? Best bang for buck around.

So I was making a decision on going w/ a car to continue the 4g63 tradition or go with something a little new and learn more about different cars. After driving both cars I really felt that they were both very equal, the STI has more brute force but the EVO MR is extremely tight steering wise.

I was really not sure which one to go with. I loved the STI interior compared to the EVO (except the EVO's seats are much nicer) and I liked the styling on the EVO more. In the long run I think the STI will be easier to work on (all the belts being very accessable up front vs. the EVO's mess along the side of the car. I really hate that setup). I also realized that the differences that you read about all the car mags pointing out will almost never come into play when driving on the street at legal speeds, so I really tried to look at what is the best car for me in the long run. The Subaru's have a good reputation with respect to quality, Mitsu has made a few large boo boo's (DSM transfer cases).

I also put a lot on my experience w/ the dealers. When getting quotes I said "Give me your best price and what financing plans you have available". Every single Subie dealer offered a very good price right away without any hassle along with their current financing promotions. Every mitsu dealer gave me the run around and kept saying "why don't you come in so we can get a better idea of what you want and we can go from there". I can't stand that because the MR really doesn't have any options...and I really don't need to have some idiot sales guy try to tell me why the EVO is better than the STI when he has no clue. I went to one mitsu dealer and the first thing the idiot pointed out to me was that all the fluid caps under the hood were white, so I know where to go to check the fluids...what a painful conversation that was.

So in the end I went with an 05 STI Crystal Gray Metallic, short throw, auto dimming mirror/compass, security upgrade, boost gauge from the first dealer I talked to and who was very cool to me. Never pressured me, always left the ball in my court allowing me to take my time and make a choice.

If you are comparing the STI with a plain EVO 8 or RS, you can save some $$ going w/ the evo (I would suggest the RS). If you are going to look at the MR, you are going to pay more than you would for the EVO, but get a nicer ride quality w/ suspension enhancements and pretty much all the same features of the STI.

Good luch on your decision, either way you are going to get an awesome car. Just get used to buying more gas
#12 Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstuds
In the long run I think the STI will be easier to work on (all the belts being very accessable up front vs. the EVO's mess along the side of the car. I really hate that setup).
Just wait until you have to change the spark plugs or injectors.