Emblem Removal on trunk? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
Emblem Removal on trunk?

I've got this big like 5'' by 2'' stick on emblem type thing from the dealer on my 03 WRX right below the WRX emblem on the trunk. Is there anything out there that will take it off without destroying my paint? Id really like to remove that but keep the WRX on it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Things you need for this removal: your fingernail
3M adhesive remover
paper towel
patience.......that about sums it up...GL.....CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Warming it up with a heat gun or hair dryer first makes the fingernail part easier
#4 Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
very true, but if there are emblems and/or stickers around the same area, be very cautious that you dont cause them to be damaged as well in the process.
a good sunny day works well if you do have other stickies in the same area, the heat from the sun will allow you to peel what you want.
take note: if they have been on there since 03, they may be a lot more stubborn and will need more chemical assistance.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
just be careful. my subaru logo came off fine with little heat and some floss. but apparently the impreza logo was taken off before by the previous owner and was put back on there with some type of glue.it started to take the first layer of paint off when went to take it off.
#6 Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
oh yeah, i forgot that some of the newer dealerships put plastic type emblems on, if this is the case than do as rex2002 did and use dental floss.... thanx for the reminder rex

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#7 Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
Your best bet would be using a heat gun and a roller ball to get the left over adhesive off...and if you get lucky enough you could get it all off by wet sanding and polishing...but if it has been on there for 8 years it may not be a good idea...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
#8 Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
very true, but if there are emblems and/or stickers around the same area, be very cautious that you dont cause them to be damaged as well in the process.
a good sunny day works well if you do have other stickies in the same area, the heat from the sun will allow you to peel what you want.
take note: if they have been on there since 03, they may be a lot more stubborn and will need more chemical assistance.
No this emblem has been on probubly for a couple months cause it was the dealer i bought it from. Ya its like less than an inch below the impreza emblem but i would really like to keep the impreza and wrx one on. I think ill try the 3M adhesive remover and/or heat. ill do it next week cause its been raining all weekend and ill be leaving soon to go to work all week cause i leave all week to work for the railroad. ill post up to let you know how and what worked. Thanks everyone! especially blaze, ya helped me on my other thread
#9 Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hey...that's what we're here for. Good luck

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Here's what I did to get mine off.
Pick up some Goo Gone at the autopart store or where ever get about 3 feet of fishing string put the Goo Gone around the emblem so it soaks a bit behind it getting to the glue use the fishing string and use a saw method downwards at the same time pull the string towards you,starting top to bottom and BLAMO! Emblem off.

You will have some excess glue on the trunk just use some more goo gone on it.
doing it on a hot day will be a plus too.

Dont rub to hard on the paint to remove any excess glue or else you will leave a scuff mark.
Good luck man!

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
Rebuild in progress....

Chuck.
#11 Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hanzfactor is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct View Post
Here's what I did to get mine off.
Pick up some Goo Gone at the autopart store or where ever get about 3 feet of fishing string put the Goo Gone around the emblem so it soaks a bit behind it getting to the glue use the fishing string and use a saw method downwards at the same time pull the string towards you,starting top to bottom and BLAMO! Emblem off.

You will have some excess glue on the trunk just use some more goo gone on it.
doing it on a hot day will be a plus too.
This was the method that I used with the addition of a blow dryer. It works really well just takes some time and patience to get all the glue off. As mentioned by others, when applying the heat be careful to not apply it too long to the emblem or the surrounding area because it can warp the emblems you might want to keep on the car. Good luck on the removal.
#12 Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I also believe in Chucks method, but I think he actually has a sticker, not a plastic emblem.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew