DVD Player - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MWRX09 is an unknown
DVD Player

I have the Navigation/DVD player in my 09 WRX wondering how passengers can watch it while driving. Its not the E brake that shuts it off its when you start rolling. Tried to figure it out myself but gave up out of anger.

Any help at this point would be awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You don't want to do this. If you can see it from where you're sitting then it shouldn't be playing movies.

There have been lawsuits where the DVD players were examined to see if it was hacked and playing a movie at the time of an accident.

Oh, and it determines that you're moving via GPS, and then it disables the movie. My head unit disables the ability to mess with settings/phone/destination when you start rolling.

Sorry if I sound like an old man, but it's just not a good idea.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #3 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah some of the newer one also incorporate some sort of steel ball that when that moves around it trips the blue screen... There are hacks around the safety features, usually at a cost. Like blk05 said though, it's pretty well frowned upon. If you really want to do it just do a search for in-dash DVD/Navigation bypass and you can find whatever you want.

-Chris
post #4 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MWRX09 is an unknown
Thanks guys I appreciate your input
post #5 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
When I had my F700BT installed, the guy wanted $50 to bypass the motion lock. I said no, I'm fine with the motion lock. Then he asked me where I wanted the e-brake detector hooked up. He was quite puzzled when I said the e-brake. I think I was his only customer to ask that the system be installed as intended. I don't see anything wrong with needing the E-brake on to operate the nav or the settings.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 15 Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Being that Mosc gave me great insight into the same exact Navi that he is running. I highly agree with above said statements. It can be an annoyance, but the ultimate safety of you and others should be each and everyones main concern. This is kind of off subject, but here and most military bases there is a HUGE crackdown on talking on a cell phone with using a handsfree/bluetooth device. I guess Im just getting at the fact that use the safety features, they are there for a reason.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Yeah, Newtothegame is right about the crack down on military bases about phones...they'll tear you a new hole for that one haha...
post #8 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Laura is an unknown
I wouldn't want to watch the movie, I love just to drive the car..
post #9 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Thats great laura .

Yeah, many states...probably just about all 50. Ban foward cabin DVD players from having the ability to play movies while in motion. If you want a front passenger to be able to watch a DVD have them watch in on a mobile dvd device (the laptop looking thing), use a laptop (lol), or plan on getting a rear DVD player installed. Which means your other passenger will have to sit in the rear to watch it. Just don't expect lenancy if its just you and the mobile DVD player in the front. While you're envolved in a accident, the other driver could try to say you were watching it instead of the road.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I don't need laws to micromanage every activity of my daily life and there is no reason my wife can't safely program in destinations while I drive. I'll be grounding the eBrake sensor as soon as I get some time.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #11 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It depends on what unit you get, that doesnt always solve the problem like mentioned above.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

If I pull my ebrake half a millimeter while driving all of my navigation options become available.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #13 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its stupid. I know on my garmin, you can turn the motion lock off. I'm not sure about the in dash units though.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MWRX09 is an unknown
I have a little update for you guys. I spoke with some police officers in Chicago (where I live) and surrounding suburbs in my area who take breaking minor laws a lot more serious then CPD does and they enlightened me on there feelings:

1. If you do get in an accident while the DVD player is on and playing a movie and you can still physically turn the movie off then do so.

2. Breaking the law isn't breaking the law unless you get caught. I know a sad statement from people are supposed to uphold the law.

I also work closely with insurance adjusters so I gave a couple of them a hypothetical situation with a dvd playing while the car is in motion and an accident occuring. They replied:

1. We dont check to see if the DVD player has been tampered with because we cover you regardless of what you were doing when the accident happened. They compared it to them not covering you if you got in an accident while talking on your cell. They would deny half of the claims they recieved if this was the case.

Knowing these things I am going ahead with the bypass on the DVD player. Sorry to the members that tried to convince me otherwise.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

All seems like common sense to me. Frankly, if you have the sense to realize all of this you probably have the sense not to watch a movie while driving your car.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2