Do I need to keep my STi scoop? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Do I need to keep my STi scoop?

How important is it that I keep my STi scoop? I'd like to trade for an 04 05 hood and scoop if possible, and I'm also thinking about throwing on an AVO TMIC before summer to help cool better. Would it significantly handicap my performance (currently or with the possible future TMIC upgrade) to trade down?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If I were you, I would really keep the bigger scoop. It does cathc more air, keeping it flowing across the IC and the engine both. I eventually want to get a bigger scoop for my 07 running the TurboXS TMIC. But theory and proven data are two different things. Im just thinking about it logically.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't know if you'd have to switch the entire hood... just the scoop. I'd assume the WRX and STi scoops would be interchangeable on any 2004/2005 WRX or STi. I swear I read about 2004/2005 WRX owners just buying 2004/2005 STi scoops and they bolted right up. Can anybody confirm that?

Also, if you find a 2004/2005 WRX that's the same color, you could probably just straight up trade scoops or maybe even get a little cash too. But why?!?! Is it that you simply don't like the huge scoop or do you just want to go sleeper status?

I <3 the 04/05 STi snow shovel scoop and I think it would be a shame to get rid of it... even if you were to get an FMIC. It's iconic. For me, it's what gives the car its true identity. I'm getting sad just thinking about this.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
lol, sorry to make you sad.

Yes, the scoops are interchangeable. I want swap entire hoods for 2 reasons.

1. My hood has about 10 dings from when the previous owner parked under an acorn tree. I just traded trunks with a kid and got $150 from that. He had just gotten done trading his LEATHER interior for an STi interior with cash on his end! That made me sick, but then I thought hey, there are plenty of other kids with WRX's who want an STi hood scoop, I bet they wouldn't care about the dings. If I can trade straight across for a good condition hood with a smaller scoop, why not?

2. Yes, I like the toned down sleeper look a little.

-Brandon
#5 Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
What did you trade your trunk for(wingless, wrx)? Get a fmic and slap a ks-tech scoop vent on. I was running that for a while, they look pretty damn slick.
#6 Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm keeping the stock turbo for now, don't really need a FMIC. I just want to know if I'd actually notice a performance difference when I never see above 100mph anyway?

-Brandon
#7 Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Aw.. well, at least you have some pretty good reasons for wanting to swap. I think you'll miss the scoop too much if you get rid of it - seems like midniteblack missed his since it appears he switched back to the shovel scoop after running the ks-tech scoop vent, judging by his avatar - which looks AWESOME, btw!

You could always get a CF hood and reuse the blue STi scoop if it's in perfect condition. That would be pretty tight for a few years until the clearcoat fades/discolors/wears off and you get chips in that too

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Heh, thanks but I'll never spend a dollar of my money on CF until they get it right. That crap is a lot of money for a product with a ridiculous life span. My old WRX's hood drove me nuckin futs trying to repair it.

-Brandon
#9 Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Chase...I'm not sure about trading down would hurt performance. But, supposedly the marketing scheme for the 06-07s beyond the different head lights/tail lights. Was to redesign the front end to flow more air into a lower profile scoop. Because of the 04-05 sti owner complants on the scoop being too big. I have nothing to back up the air flow rates of either scoop or anything. But, I'm sure subaru put some R&D into the big scoop. I doubt they said slap it on there for aesthetics. Considering the STI is based off the rally car and most of the exterior bits are based off a performance need. Not, a marketing move to sell cars. If, you dislike the look. Just like the STI wing...do away with it. Its your car.
#10 Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I agree with Turmic.... at the end of the day, you have to look and drive your car. I say do whats going to put a smile on your face.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy