Differneces in wax - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Differneces in wax

I want to give my car a REALLY good exterior cleaning. What process should I follow and what products do you reccomend? I want my WRB to shine!
Other questions... What exactly is a cleaning wax? Should I clay bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
clay bar is mostly to pick off over spray and other things that are stuck on in that form, I believe that you should probably just use a bug and tar remover to get things started though...unless you need the bar for something we dont know about.
As for the steps to be taken though...thats really up to what your beginning with...paint wise.
I fully believe that with a little research on the different polishes, compounds, cleaners, waxes and other products out there...its a to each their own kinda thing!

I myself use 3M compounds straight up if I'm dealing with old unattended paint or rough new paint, but if I'm working on a car like my WRX than ill just use a scratch removing agent, like a Meguires scratch remover polish, than move to their high polish shine wax. But I love 3M and Meguires so, like I said....to each their own...GL....

P.S. ......I'm trying that ball tomorrow

........................................CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh, to answer your Question.....no clay bar, unless needed.
Bug and tar remover, than probably a cleaning wax to get the grime out of the swirls left there from the brush at your local car wash

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Even new cars could use a good clay bar. The easiest way to test if it's necessary is to wash your car and dry it. Then take a little sandwich baggie and put your hand in it. Then rub over your paint and see if you can feel bumps in the paint. If you do, then it's time to clay bar.

Cleaner waxes are just that. A wax that contains cleaning agents in them. Most over the counter (OTC) waxes will have cleaning properties and fillers. They realize the average consumer is lazy, so the wax will help get rid of extra crap on the paint that should have been taken care of in a clay or polish step. For someone willing to go thru all those steps, it's harder to apply and remove and creates more of a mess like dust.

Here's a good article on differences of the major types of wax.
Which Wax is Best, best car wax, Carnauba car wax, Synthetic waxes, paint sealant, best car wax for black

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

+1 Yer the man when it comes to this topic Jon!!!!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

OK, So I got Mothers Cleaning wax. From what I understand, this will remove the old wax AND place a new layer of wax on. Is this correct? Also, I would assume that if I want to add additional layers of wax, I would have to get some different stuff.
#7 Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can't see how a 2 step wax is beneficial or actually work better than most waxes alone. Just my 2¢

I use Meguiars clay bar once every 2 years.... and then the Meguiars 3 step twice a year (Cleaner/Polish/Wax). Has worked well for the past 3-4 years.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Prz - is this what you are talking about?
https://store.mothers.com/product_in..._id=59&cPath=5
I think this is the route I want to go. I want to clay bar uit first.
Anyone have hints on how to clay bar. I have never done it before. Or does the Pre-Wax Cleaner take the place of the clay bar.
I am assuming I should use a microfiber towel to remove the wax and an application pad to apply.
Are there any big differences in microfiber towels?
What is the best way to dry your car?
Thanks
#9 Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

DarkXshiki is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunk007 View Post
Anyone have hints on how to clay bar. I have never done it before. Or does the Pre-Wax Cleaner take the place of the clay bar.
I am assuming I should use a microfiber towel to remove the wax and an application pad to apply.
Thanks
clay bar is different from cleaner wax. the claybar grabs the imperfection that sits on the car. not 100 % sure what cleaner wax does.
check out mother's website or auto geeks on how to use clay bar. just order some claybar to use here.
yeah microfiber to remove the wax.
i start making the drying process easier by letting free flowing water run from the top down so that the water sheets off car then i used microfibers to dry the car. all i can say is god i hate the section of the bumper between the exhausts on my 11 subi. water tend to pool there.

Last edited by DarkXshiki; 05-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
#10 Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunk007 View Post
Thanks
That's one you CAN use. I use this one though:

Shopping Cart : Detailing.com

Any claybar will work. When you buy the claybar in the box, it will come with the spray detailer you use when rubbing the car down with the bar.

I hate using microfiber for drying, is there one that actually absorbs water out there?... I sometimes use a chamoix if I don't use a spot free rinse.

Although Jon (Vew) uses more advanced stuff when he does it. He might have an easier way to get it all done. You will be looking at a 6-7 hr job with:

Wash
Dry
Clay
Wash
Dry
Cleaner
Polish
Wax
Vicodin

And beer in between all of them. Good luck

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Paul,
Your link did not bring me to any sort of product, only a shopping cart page. What brand do you use? Do you apply all of these by hand or with a random orbital buffer?
Thanks again.
#12 Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Crud, thought that would have worked. The bottles are maroon and you will see all 3 next to each other at a nappy or vatozone. Meguiars (deep crystal shtuff)

It has Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 on the bottle.

Sorry, links aren't working very well... Yeah with an orbital or use your own elbow grease... and wipe it all off with a microfiber cloth on the last 2 steps. I can't remember what I use on the cleaner (step 1)

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Vew

Not all MF towels are made the same.. however with that being said, I personally don't think it's worth it to spend big bucks on simple towels. Sams has a good deal on them for like a 25 back for $10 bucks. My buddy throws his really dirty ones away and just buys a new bag. To wash them, use regular detergent with a splash of vinegar (optional). Just don't use any types of fabric softeners.

A cleaner wax just contains some extra properties that help remove some stubborn stuff that regular washing cannot get. That's why your applicator will turn brown after a while. It's not wax. That's dirt. It may contain some polishing properties depending on the brand but that's another topic.

However, a clay bar will remove everything when used properly. That would remove most of the need for a cleaner wax, even though that is the most common OTC wax. Using one after claying won't hurt. Just a little more work and more dust for you. You can youtube videos on how to do this if you never have.

If you want a best I can get at the minimal, this is what I would recommend. Buy a clay bar. Cut the clay bar in half. Safe the other half. Clay the car. I don't like telling everyone to buy a specific product, but I don't know too many alternatives. It's called Klasse All In One. It's a German imported acrylic sealant. It's very popular in the detailing world (see autopia.org). It's about $20 bucks for a bottle. It's very easy to apply use very little product to cover a vehicle. It lasts about 3-6 months on the car. It also contains light polishing properties which is good for what we're using this for. You can also consider this the first "layer of wax." However, you cannot layer this product. What you'll want to do is put another coat of wax over top of this. Find one without all that cleaning stuff in it. Personally I use P21S. Pure carnuba wax. Goes on like butter. Comes off like, well it's easy. And little to no dust!! but again, More than most people want to spend. So do some research! P21S would never touch my car without the prep work though. It would be a waste of product IMO.

This is what I typically recommend to people that are below the car enthusiast level, but obviously steps above the average car owner that love their car, but don't want to spend a fortune on taking care of it.

People that don't want that extra hassle or cost. Just use a popular OTC wax. You'll be fine. Every 6 months or so clay bar it and use the same wax, you will still be happy with the results. The above is for people looking for more.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Vew!
So, Clay bar the car and then I would apply (and remove) the Klasse All In One. Finally I would apply (and remove) the P21S wax. If I want to apply some wax again later in the summer, I would just apply another layer of P21S, correct.
#15 Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Vew

Yup. Just make sure the car is clean. Again, you don't have to get P21S. There are cheaper alternatives (more expensive ones too!). That's just what I personally use.

I want to add about MF towels. Cheap towels flaws are typically risk of staining the paint from the dye if you use a powerful cleaner like denatured alcohol, they don't give up dirt and containment in the wash as easily, and depending on what material they're made of risk very minor marring of the paint (less serious than it sounds).

Jon
RIP Colin McRae