Damn lights! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Damn lights!

Recently I got some new lights for my 03 WRX. Today I got some better bulbs. Everything was fine until I started to adjust them. Then things went haywire.

I had them adjusted equally but they were too high. So I lowered the right one. no problem.

(Just so you know I now have 4 headlights). While I was adjusting the left low beams they went out and the high beams came on very dim. I didn't even turn them on! I looked over at the right side lights and the high beams were on very dim too. As well as the low beams, which looked normal.

I checked the bulbs 1st. The old bulbs did the same thing as the new bulbs,so that rules out the bulbs.

Then I unplugged the lamp assembly on the left and the right lamp acted normally. So,nothing wrong there.

So next I checked the connections to the bulbs by removing them,connecting them to the power and grounding them to the side of the socket. The bulb lit dimly. I did the same thing to the bright bulb and got the same thing.

All the while when testing, the brights on the other lamp would come on dimly.

What gives?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

jimbo058 is an unknown
You probably have a ground loop somewhere in the wiring. Make a simple diagram of all the wires and connections. Somewhere you probably have a wire hooked up to a bolt or connector to the frame, and another one that is supposed to be grounded in the light socket, and the current is looping back thru the cars' frame and shorting out the lights. Sometimes when this stuff happens, it is better to just rip it all out and start over, one connection at a time. Have a friend check your wiring diagram for accuracy. Good luck !!!
#3 Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
It was a FUSE!!! Doh!!!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.