custom subwoofer installation help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
Question custom subwoofer installation help

im going to re do my sub setup in the trunk. im going to take out the spare tire and get some mdf to make a full cut out of the carpet that lays in the trunk. i then will carpet that and cut a hole out and mount the sub in the spare tire spot.the question that i have is.. being that a box wont fit in the spare tire mount to lay flush with the mdf cutout is there any ideas what i can use to seal the mdf to the trunk floor so air wont escape out,but i dont want it to be permanent . should i spray the truck underside below the sub with great stuff to have some sound deadening there. any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
you could use dynomat

Chucks stage 2 WRX tuned by Ray @ TurboTekTuning.com
16G it's so pretty
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

gdemander is an unknown
I think DynaXorb would be better than just straight dynamat, but I am no sound expert.

DynaXorb
post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

ndwolfwood is more helpful than not

you could have a fiberglass enclosure molded to the mdf but there really is no effective way to keep air from escaping unless you get a free air sub it is going to sound terrible. the mdf, while heavy, it is not heavy enough to keep the sub in place and limit flex enough to not let air escape...also the trunk floor is anything but flat. i recently covered my trunk in a few layers of peel and seal(cheap dynamat substitute) to eliminate exhaust drone.

you could build a shallow box onto the mdf trunk board you plan to make but you are going to run into some issues

1. shallow mount subs dont sound near as good as normal mount subs
2. shallow mount subs wont handle as much power, assuming you already have an amp

Boston Acoustics makes a sub:
Boston Acoustics SPG555-4 Oval 4-ohm component subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

and a Tunable Radiator
Boston Acoustics SPG-TR Tunable Radiator [audiojunkies]

When you use these two together, not sure if thats the correct radiator or not but you can make a box that has half of the cubic ft. requirements of the sub and still get the same sound. im not sure how large your current sub enclosure is now, but im guessing its large enough that you need more space.

Also, short of a full custom fiberglass enclosure, there is no way to get the result you are after that will be as effective as the one i pointed out above. it may work, but once you turn your stereo up you will get terrible bass response if any and a huge rattling piece of mdf in your trunk. i have personally heard the SPG-555 in a radiated enclosure...it sounds amazing when tuned right, and it only takes up a fraction of the space of a normal enclosure

my $.02
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
thanks for all the 411..