Cost of painting? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Cost of painting?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone has painted their Wrx either a new color or maybe just a body kit or something...Its obviously going to be pretty expensive. Basically what i'll be doing come May is adding a body kit, a wings west spoiler and a Zero sports grill. Anybody that has kit that can tell me how much it cost to paint would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has painted their whole car that can tell me the price of that
Thanks guys,
Joe
'02 Blue Wrx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
It depends on who does it and how good of a job they do.

I contemplated getting mine painted here by a friend that owns the best paint shop in this part of the state. I was going to pull the motor and everything under the hood and out of the trunk, and have everything that was yellow painted a different color. I can't stand cars that only get the outside painted.

His price for me (with me doing a lot of the prep work) was $3500. Of course, you can go to one of the cheap places like Earl Scheib or Maaco (if you have those around there) and get an outside only job for $299.

You get what you pay for.
#3 Old 02-22-2005, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Damn man, thats expensive...I've been meaning to ask you though, if u had ## body stuff molded or bolted on? Is there that big of a difference in the quality and in the pricing???
Joe
'02 Blue Wrx
#4 Old 02-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Something as small as a hoodscoop cost me almost $100 for a professional job. Can't complain one bit though. Looked better than the paint job on the rest of the car!

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I despise body kits, so I don't have one. However, most of the kits for the WRX are made to be bolted on, so they don't need to be molded.

I am, however, somewhat partial to the Kaminari kit. I may end up with that one eventually...
#6 Old 02-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
If you are going to do it, spend the money and have it done right. Most of the cost will be from materials, they are really expensive, I paid a 150 bucks for just a gallon of clear not including the activator or hardener with a discount! Just don't make us WRXer's look bad by getting a cheap ricer paint job.
#7 Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Don't worry I won't let you down. Cosmo, the body kit im lookin at is the C-West one. The Kaminari one is sweet too though, i've checked that out many times. And the bolting on part sounds sweet considering molding is a #####.
How bout a spoiler? I know with the one i want the holes dont match up, either of you guys dealt with that before?
#8 Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Basically you just have to drill new holes. Some wings cover up the stock holes, so that is not a problem. If it doesn't, you'll have to have them filled and painted.

Your best bet would be to trade trunks with someone else that has a wingless trunk the same color as yours.
#9 Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I'm not for body kits on a WRX, but I do like the lips that make the WRX front look less round, like the JDM STi replica lip, and the Greddy front lip.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#10 Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXDevin is an unknown
Thumbs up C-West fan

Big Joe-
the C-west lip kit is totally Hot, so i feel you there. Depending on what wing you get, you may be able to use the stock wing holes (if yours came equipped with the sleek, low rise). The OEM 04 STi wing does not use the stock holes but i do believe it covers them, so you don't have to worry about paying a body shop to shave them.
Good luck w/ your project, lemme know how it turns out! I'd like to get my body modded a little bit, but my first priority is getting rid of my 3 Cat's!

What do you mean, "Catalytic Converters are required by law?!?" Faugh!
=DEViN=
#11 Old 02-24-2005, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Best price i have found so far is $1048.00 off of Hopupracing.com
If you guys find anything or know of any place that i could get the kit and maybe save a lil money on the product itself or maybe just shipping please lemme know
Thanks
Joe
'02 Blue Wrx