Cost to install a carbon fiber hood...? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Subieboo204 is an unknown
Cost to install a carbon fiber hood...?

Any ideas it cost to install a carbon fiber hood on a 04 wrx... is it easy enough to fo it yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
it should be easy enough to install yourself...all depends on how well the piece is made and how well it lines up. You and another buddy should be able to get it done.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
its only like four bolts. Think your capable. But u will need a few exta hands ^^^^ he beat me

02 WRX Now STG 3
92 Ninja 600
Quit crying and be happy. could be driving a mustang - Jujutsuka
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yea if i go ill go good with seibon...
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subieboo204 View Post
yea if i go ill go good with seibon...
smart choice....well worth the money
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
What's a carbon fiber hood cost? Around $700? My VIS lasted 2 years before it got oxidized and downright embarrassing looking because it looks like I got it at a junkyard after someone spilled stripper on it. So that works out to about $350 a year. It's not worth it, and my guess is after about 3 more years people are going to start realizing how crappy the stuff is and production companies will either start making quality CF with UV protections, the only way to keep it nice, or it's going to be a dying fad.

In either case, it's going to save you 3/4 of a pound. You could just take a jog for more weight reduction if that's your goal Just trying to save you money and headaches.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well how long is the hood ogna last? Will it really fade out that fast? is there a way to protect it? and is it worht spending more... will it last longer?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Keep it out of the sun. You could have it cleared with a special additive of uv protectant, it's only $60,000 a gallon. Seriously, that's what Chevy has to use in the Carbon on their ZR1, even diluted to 3% with clear coat it works out to $2000 a gallon:2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - Overview for Chevrolet Corvette - CarGurus

I've tried buffing, polishing, and wet sanding. A new clear coat made it look better for only 3 weeks. It might last 3 years max. Even garaged, it's being bombarded every time you drive outside, and park in a lot. Paint is much more durable. Which is why if I keep mine, I'll soon be painting it. I'm sure some companies are better than others, but none use the UV protection as far as I know. There are different grades, A,B and maybe C. But no one oversees which grade a company gives it's own CF product and they can call it whatever they want to. Use $700 to buy an accessport, you'll be much happier.

Oh, and as for the original point, changing your hood may be even easier than changing your oil. A 12mm wrench and a human wrist that pivots is all you need.

-Brandon
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

haha ok ill probally avoid getting one i dont want to spend that much to have it ruined in no time. i did find one for 350 on here that was a seibon but ill just use that money for a new crank pulley and some sparkplugs i think... thanks man
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

SOOBYGUY is an unknown
Same thing happened to my se-r CF hood after about 3-4 years and i always cleaned, waxed, and buffed it. I ended up Clearcoating it w/ 4 coats and looks good as new and will last longer than that crappy gelcoat they put on em when they're new.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ah, another convert. You're very welcome. I'm so happy I turned business away from one more CF company. Lol, it really is a pain. There are other things you can do to accentuate the exterior, just take your time and you'll see other guys running around with stuff you want for yourself. In the meantime, you'll be happy if you go for performance. Best bang for your buck is an up and down pipe, exhaust and tuning.

Thanks for the advice Subyguy, I'll try shooting it a few more times before I paint it

-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement