Subaru WRX Forum banner

Coolant and Oil hoses

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
I am looking for flexible hoses that I can cut to length. I want to replace all of the hoses under the hood that have coolant or oil running through them.

Anyone run there own custom hoses? Does anyone have a list of the sizes needed?

#2 ·
My old man works with high pressure valves and fittings and I have used his scrap stainless braided hoses and stainless tubing for years on various projects. Its definitely not the cheapest option but it feels good knowing that the hoses are rated for 2000PSI at 500 degrees celcius.

One thing to keep in mind if you choose to go with stainless tubing or aftermarket hoses in general is that they need to have enough slack that they can flex when you engine revs. If your thinking oil lines then stainless tubing should work fine because they are transversing the block to equipment that is also mounted to the block, You would need to use hose for the radiator lines because they need to be able to flex as the engine vibrates and moves independently of the radiator.

Shaping and cutting up to 1 inch stainless piping is pretty easy and can be handled with a pip bender. I have always had hand ones lying around the garage and they work pretty good up to about 3/4 inch OD. Anything larger than that and the hand benders start getting hard to use.

Other than that I cant think of any alternative hose material that would not kink under the tight bends of a radiator hose.

#3 ·
I have Samco upper/lower radiator hose, and went with a ebay hose kit for vac lines.
If I had to do it again I would go all Samco.
Ebay kit seems to discolor after a few months or maybe just a bad experience with em.

#5 ·
The one i used for the coolant return on the top resovior pretty much breaks everytime I have to pull it off. The ones i used for vac lines hold up well. I've had them on for over 2yrs now so maybe Im beating a dead horse and should retire them lol. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.