Subaru WRX Forum banner

Climate Control question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
When I'm driving i typically use the auto climate control with the direction split to windshield and floor, and then adjust temp as needed (the chest direction makes my eyes dry out since I wear contacts).

The other day I switched it to chest/floor but then decided to turn the system off entirely, but kept it in the chest/floor setting. I noticed that even with the system off, quite a bit of air was coming through the vents. Almost as if the system was on-but its not, blower is silent.

Does anyone else have this too? Never really noticed before since I typically keep it on windshield/floor.

Crazy!

#2 · (Edited)
that weird. i would think you have a fried relay somehwere that tells the system its still on even though the switch is off. maybe a seal is broken somewhere and its letting air in from the outside when you are at speed. or maybe it always lets air in by default at speeds?

me, i dont know too much about HVAC systems. i have no a/c and drive with the heat on full all summer. no joke. hot laps all day long!!

#4 ·
if you don't have the recirculation function on then that happens. You will notice it the more the faster you drive an then when you are at a stop there will be no air coming in. You will also notice if you crack a window while driving it does it more.

When I don't want it seap'n in anymore I shut the fan off and turn on the recirc function.

#6 ·
The system is off. The reason switching to recirc works is because this causes your HVAC system to bring air in from the windshield vents (hence why you can't have recirc and defrost on at the same time). Otherwise, when recirc is turned off, your car is sucking air in from the outside to run through your system. This being the case, when you turn the fans to off, air will still get pushed into the car from the pressure difference as you are driving along. So that's why it feels like some air is still blowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.