Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   clicking sound with headlights? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/clicking-sound-headlights-1283/)

rawrex 02-13-2003 05:43 PM

clicking sound with headlights?

My 03 rex has a fairly loud click sound coming from the passenger side of the car when I turn on tyhe headlight switch. I have no mods other than new stereo and amp and those windshield squirter leds. I noticed it long before i installed the radio. Any info would be great, Chuck.

WizzD 02-14-2003 01:24 PM

I notice the same thing on my '03. I also have an aftermarket radio but it was doing it before that as well. Not sure what it is but I think it's just a quirk that's common since I'm not the only one and I'm sure there are more of us.

Cosmo 02-14-2003 02:09 PM

Mine does the same thing. I just turn the radio up loud enough so I don't hear it.....

ScoobySnax 02-14-2003 06:52 PM

That click is the sound of the relay, perfectly normal.
The switch in the steering column is using a small gauge wire, running at a low current, which sends a signal to the coil inside the relay, which activates the higher current lighting circuit. Because lower current wiring is lighter, the more of it you have in the car, the lighter the wiring loom is - even with the relays.

IMPREZvWRX 02-15-2003 11:20 AM

Don't forget that it enables you to use smaller switches and put them in places you couldn't put a high-current swtich. Anyone remember the old-school headlight switches? :D

jehcpa 02-23-2003 02:25 PM

I have assumed and continued to assume this is normal operation.

The clicking that I hear when I turn on the headlights comes from the glove box area. This is the same area that the DRL relay is (see the mod for removing the DRL). As the other posts here have stated it most likely relates to the increased voltage changing from DRL to full healight voltage. I like DRL and the associated insurance reduction so haven't done the mod. Maybe someone who has done the mod can post whether or not disabling the DRL eliminates the relay click when turning on the headlights.

One solution might be to put some sound deadening material/insulation around the DRL relay area. I don't know what type of heat is generated in that area so I would leave some air space and not apply directly.

IMPREZvWRX 02-23-2003 05:11 PM

The DRL relay is under the hood, next to the boost control solenoid. Disabling the DRL will not change the way the headlight relay works. The click has nothing to do with voltage changes, it is simply a noise that all relays of its size make. It is totally normal. I wouldn't recommend wrapping teh relay pack with anything to ensure a long relay life. A solution is not needed because there is no problem. Just live with the click, or buy a high-end car. I don't see why the click would be annoying, it only happens when you turn on the lights, it's not continuous. Wait until your defroster plate start rattling, that's annoying!

TrboChgd 02-25-2003 12:07 AM

when i install factory alarms at toyota, we are required to wrap the relay with foam tape to quiet it up. But hey man its just a small click- if you cant live with it, then cover it up.

Gerlando 02-25-2003 01:35 PM

Have you tried high beams yet? They make an even bigger click.