Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Chips in paint - - (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/chips-paint-5182/)

bucwylde22 05-31-2004 05:15 PM

Chips in paint - -

I am wondering what steps any of you have taken in order to prevent rock chips on the front of the car in the paint.
I have had my '04 WRX for less than a month, about 1600 miles on it, and it already has 4 rock dings that I have seen.
I am just wondering what my options are, if any, because it sucks to get a new car all torn to shreds.

Also, I need to order some paint from the dealer or somewhere to fix a ding in my driver side mirror. You can see the white plastic behind the black, and it is VERY noticeable. Any particular step to applying the paint? or just use a toothpick or something similar to dab it on?

thanks

IBAUCLAPlaya 05-31-2004 05:41 PM

Yeah I have a shitload of chips on my car too. 6500 miles but still. I use little toothpic like thingies from Griot's garage that have a cotton ball on the end. They work very well to touch up.

Tut4u2 05-31-2004 08:06 PM

Subaru is known for having HORRIBLE paint on their cars. To prevent the rock dings, don't drive behind trucks, lol, but there isn't much you can do. You could buy a bra for the car and that would help, but it makes the car look horrible. Also make sure to wash and wax the car, because that helps with the bigger bugs.

As for the paint...make sure that you wash the mirror WELL. You don't want to be applying paint to a dirty surface. Then apply as little of the paint as possible (it depends on the damage but you can always add paint not detract paint). The paint is also self-leveling so it should even out by itself. In addition, if it's a really small area then you can apply it with a cotton cloth or paper towel so you blend it in. Also apply more than coat, and apply a clear coat when you're done. Then wax it in a week's time so you protect it.

vindog2003 06-01-2004 06:49 AM

1.buy clear vinyl and put it low where the rocks could hit
2.buy the mash that is like 400.00 that does the same thing
3.buy mud flaps and fit them with a hot knife
4. under warranty call subaru dealer and make them paint it
just a couple of suggestions number 1,3,and 4 worked for me. number 4 worked twice.

IBAUCLAPlaya 06-01-2004 08:09 AM

I could just walk in and tell them about my chips on my hood, and a scratch on my door and a dent on my other door and tell them to fix it no cost? Sounds odd, I have never heard of a dealer fixing paint chips.

bucwylde22 06-01-2004 01:45 PM

yea so the dealer actually covers rock ding? that doesn't sound right.. never heard of that before. Hell I could just wait until my warranty is almost up and get it repainted?

Tut4u2 06-01-2004 03:29 PM

The warranty doesn't cover door dings or rock dings...it will cover rust and paint that chips for no reason.

jwtarbaj 06-01-2004 04:25 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tut4u2 [/i]
[B]The warranty doesn't cover door dings or rock dings...it will cover rust and paint that chips for no reason. [/B][/QUOTE]

Translation they won't repaint it for you. They will tell you soemthing else caused it like road debris.

vindog2003 06-01-2004 09:21 PM

i took mine to them and complained about the entire front end, bottom of both doors, and sides of rear bumper, and they painted my car! 6000 miles on it paint should not come off that easy and they aggrreedd.

IBAUCLAPlaya 06-02-2004 02:12 PM

How is the new paint holding up? How long did they have your car for?

vindog2003 06-02-2004 10:27 PM

great 4 days

wrx27 06-10-2004 09:48 AM

My dealer will fix minor paint scratches, chips, dings, dents or blemishes for first 4 months free of charge. I will be def. gettin them 2 fix sum stuff b4 than. As for after that, i have no idea if they will or not but ill kno soon.....