Catback/Tow hitch question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jujutsuka is an unknown
Catback/Tow hitch question

Hello all! New to this site, but a long time Wrx lover! I have an 02 wrx with minimum mods. My question is: I have an HKS high power carbon fiber titanium catback. I love to ride mountain bikes. I JUST had my car repainted because of dings caused by a Saris bones 3 trunk latched bike rack (and 4 years of wear and tear on the paint). Can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that because of my exhaust, I can't have a tow hitch installed. I'd REALLY like to install one so I can then install a bike rack on my hitch. What do you guys think? I would appreciate some feedback regarding this dilemma I'm in. Worst case scenario, I will strap the Saris unit back on and ride if I can't install a hitch. Don't want to considering the new paint job. On a side note, my suby is awaiting some parts now. I ordered a Seibon carbon fiber cwII hood, and grill along with new dual projection headlights recently. CAN'T WAIT!!! Thanks in advance to any responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jujutsuka is an unknown
Anybody? Please?!
#3 Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
First of all, nice choice on your cat back. I have the same one and I like it a whole bunch Second, I also heard that a tow hitch won't work if you have such an exhaust, so that option might be out - unless you can have someone custom weld one on there, but I think that might be pretty expensive. You could always try to find a decent roof rack that you like and if you're worried about scratching your paint, you could have some of that clear bra material installed on your roof. I have a custom-mounted Yakima setup (I modded my Q clips so I can use the hooks under the rain gutter as mounting points instead of using the stock mounting position between the window glass and the seal around the door, and I cut down my crossbars so they don't stick out at all) on mine right now for snowboarding season. I'm curious to see if there are any scratches on the roof when I take it off in the summer.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I remember this coming up before and wagonracer got into it. He finally just decided on keeping the stock cat-back.

Also, you should know that CF hood is actually HEAVIER than the stock hood. Your stock hood is aluminum and very light.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's correct, I'm using the stock exhaust with my tow hitch. I'm not convinced that you couldn't make it work with an aftermarket exhaust, though. The Cort hitch that I got inexpensively ($120ish) displaces the rear exhaust hanger that bolts to the frame, as the hitch uses one of those as a mounting point. The rubber hanger now goes through a bolt on the hitch's frame, and the exhaust hangs nicely there. I think at worst, you might have to have a new hook welded onto the muffler to make it work. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier
#6 Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jujutsuka is an unknown
Thanks, everybody! Not quite sure which route to take, but I'm sure your answers will help me decide. I might just break down and have the roof mount installed. I'm just worried that after riding all day i will absently-minded run into my garage (stranger things HAVE happened)!!!?? And on a side note you are right, man show. The cat back is GREAT! I truly do love it. It has a very mellow tone. Talk to you all later!

Last edited by mosc; 03-19-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: fixed quite
#7 Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujutsuka View Post
^quite.
HUH???

#8 Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Thanks, everybody! Not quits sure which route to take, but I'm sure your answers will help me decide. I might just break down and have the roof mount installed. I'm just worried that after riding all day i will absently-minded run into my garage (stranger things HAVE happened)!!!?? And on a side note you are right, man show. The cat back is GREAT! I truly do love it. It has a very mellow tone. Talk to you all later!
Quote:
Thanks, everybody! Not quite sure which route to take, but I'm sure your answers will help me decide. I might just break down and have the roof mount installed. I'm just worried that after riding all day i will absently-minded run into my garage (stranger things HAVE happened)!!!?? And on a side note you are right, man show. The cat back is GREAT! I truly do love it. It has a very mellow tone. Talk to you all later!
There ya go mosc. Lime green editing is for man show!

John
07 WRX
#9 Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Garage
alright, I fixed it.

In the future, please hit the EDIT button in the lower right hand corner of your post. We now return to our regularly scheduled cat-back question.

#10 Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jujutsuka is an unknown
ok, ok thanks for the thread lesson. didn't know bout the edit button. but seriously, thanks for the rack suggestions. think im gonna go with a roof mount. probably a yakima raptor, as I hate taking the front wheel off for some strange reason (lazy).

Last edited by Jujutsuka; 03-22-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: misspelled
#11 Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Yes you can have a hitch with a after market exhaust in fact i had a hitch with TBE and it fit perfect all i had to do is drill one 3/8 hole on the drivers side of the hitch so i could bolt on the exhaust hanger and that was it, it works very well, i went with the brand Hidden Hitch it was only like $120 for the hitch and receiver and ball
#12 Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jujutsuka is an unknown
Thanks vd5505! I just might give that a shot. I don't know how the yakima roof rack would look with the overall appearance of my car. Might not look too cool, ya know?
#13 Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
lol they are a all purpose car from pavement to dirt and to hauling accessories haha
#14 Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

LOL oh man i thought this was a funny pic i really had to post this one, this guy is really taking his car serious and he has no limits haha
Attached Images