Subaru WRX Forum banner

Carpet replacement

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DirtFan 
#1 ·
So among the other projects of my subie, the newest addition is the discovery of ruined carpeting, worn down to the floor panels and bare wiring:mad:

I plan on ripping out all of the carpeting this summer and re-laying new material. I was playing with a couple ideas such as the play car rug ive seen on facebook and pinterest, I also have a friend whos dad does wood flooring and has a bunch of scrap wood to possibly lay wood paneling on the floorboards.

I was wondering if anyone has an experience or advice for this, it would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I'll comment on the hard wood, and although it would be "possible", it would be very difficult to make it fit very cleanly. Normally hardwood flooring has trim pieces to the wall, that's because it isn't cut perfectly underneath, nor does it have to to look good. In your car, that would be a different story, you would have to somehow remove material until your flooring would fit perfectly.

I would certainly LOVE to see it if you can pull it off though.

Another note is that there is a ton of different types of automotive upholstery available that you could DIY. You can probably order the original part as well depending on what year your car is.

Post pix (whatever you do).

#3 · (Edited)
skip the wood. bad idea.

laying carpet is a simle job. just strip your car, remove old carpet, lay new carpet.

if you are using a custom carpet. lay it over top of the old carpet and trace out the shape you need. also trace out any holes you need to cut for vents and bolts and whatnot.

its quite simple, just very tedious. hardest part is getting everything out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.