Subaru WRX Forum banner

Car Wax

5K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  blk05WRX 
#1 ·
Whats a good and easy to use car wax. Preferably on a black car?:confused:

Have some cheap turtle wax in the garage, but not sure if that will make things worse?

#2 ·
Zymol. It's a bit expensive but then again, nothing should be too expensive for your baby. Follow the directions. Apply it in a back and forth motion along the length of the car. Don't use a circular motion. that causes swirl marks. Use a terrycloth towel to remove after applying then when you finish the car, use a micro-fibre cloth to buff it to perfection. Takes some time but well worth it.

Do not use a carnuba wax. it has abrasives in it for older finishes. Zymol is a liquid.

#10 ·
I've used Zymol, NXT, Gold Class, and a bunch of others, and by far my favorite so far is the New Turtle Wax "Ice". You can wax an entire car in 1/2 the time it takes with a regular wax, it leaves a nice shine, and dosen't leave any white residue or swirl marks since it is a clear liquid. It's a little expensive, about the same as Zymol if I remember right, but I won't use any other wax again.

#11 ·
jeneah said:
I bought that NXT stuff and it sucks. It's hard to get off even with a microfiber. I use Mothers liquid waxes and I have had great success. I like the sound of this Zymol tho...think I may try it.
What do you do? Wax in the blazing sun? NXT stuff is the easiest wax I have used thus far. They designed it that way.

#13 ·
jeneah said:
I bought that NXT stuff and it sucks. It's hard to get off even with a microfiber. I use Mothers liquid waxes and I have had great success. I like the sound of this Zymol tho...think I may try it.

Just like Vew said, did you wax your car out in the sun? What methods did you use do apply it, and remove it. Ive tried a lot of different waxes, NXT is the easiest to apply, easiest to take off, and it leaves a deep shine. It even smells better than the other waxes.

#15 ·
Thats another thing I like about the Turtle Wax Ice, you can wax it in direct sunlight or if the car is hot. With a black car it'd be great, as you won't ever see any white residue with it. Trust me on this one, buy some and you won't regret it.

#16 ·
Meguiar's FTW.... They make some of the best (affordable) stuff out there. Of course you can spend lots on the premium stuff... but I've been using Meguiar's for years on both my cars and my bike, and they always look great. Especially my WRX, but it's silver so I guess it's easy to get a nice sheen to it. Glad I didn't get black... makes swirl marks so easy to see :(

#17 ·
WRXforME said:
Just like Vew said, did you wax your car out in the sun? What methods did you use do apply it, and remove it. Ive tried a lot of different waxes, NXT is the easiest to apply, easiest to take off, and it leaves a deep shine. It even smells better than the other waxes.

I did not wax my car in the sun. My Dad used the same stuff on his rex and had the same problems. If anyone wants my almost new bottle...they can have it.....I hated it.

#19 ·
smores said:
Meguiar's FTW.... They make some of the best (affordable) stuff out there. Of course you can spend lots on the premium stuff... but I've been using Meguiar's for years on both my cars and my bike, and they always look great. Especially my WRX, but it's silver so I guess it's easy to get a nice sheen to it. Glad I didn't get black... makes swirl marks so easy to see :(
I use WD40 on my bike :D

#20 ·
The NXT liquid wax is nice and quick but I'd have to say it doesn't last very long. The Turtle Ice lasts longer and a bit quicker as well. I am trying out the Mother's Carnuba wax and its lasting a lot longer than the NXT. Might have to do with the fact that I used the NXT as first layer then the Mother's.

#21 ·
Maguire's HighTech Yellow Wax & Glase, no swirls on my old man's black accord, nor in my previous silver Integra, red 350Z and my current blue rex. Just apply in the shade using "towel wrapped" sponge applicators and uff out with a microfiber towel. It will not leave white dust behind, if you do one small section at a time. Oh and you should use Maguires mist between wax jobs.

#23 ·
fuapiti said:
Maguire's HighTech Yellow Wax & Glase, no swirls on my old man's black accord, nor in my previous silver Integra, red 350Z and my current blue rex. Just apply in the shade using "towel wrapped" sponge applicators and uff out with a microfiber towel. It will not leave white dust behind, if you do one small section at a time. Oh and you should use Maguires mist between wax jobs.
Swirls is mostly a technique problem. Circular motions is a thing of the past. You're supposed to do front to back motions. Even if they made the wax as safe chemically it could possibably be, fine scratches will eventually show up with enough applications. It's inevidable. That's why a good polish about once a year keeps the car looking like new.

#24 ·
It shouldn't really matter what Wax you use as long as its not old get any of the above named apply it in the shade make sure your car is cool and practice your technique. Generally peoples favorite is like the 2nd or 3rd they've tried simply because they have the experience and it finally came out looking good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.