Which Bulbs? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Which Bulbs?

I am looking to replace my stock bulbs in my 06 wrx and have done a little bit of research to find which replacement bulbs are good. I haven't heard the best things about the reliability of the Sylvania Silverstars, though they are the most readily available. Osram Silverstars, on the other hand have received good reviews. My question is, what bulb would you recommend, if I am going for a bright white look with better visibility. However, I want to stay away from those headlights that are blinding from behind and have almost a purple-ish tint to them.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sylvania Silverstars are probably your best bet. It's true, they don't last quite as long as regular stock bulbs since they're basically the same thing, except with slightly tinted blue glass and pushing a little bit more juice through them to create a slightly better light. They still last plenty long - like at least a year or two from my experience. The next step above those would be an H.I.D. kit. I tried Sylvania Silverstars in my high/low/fog lights and I was looking for more, so now I have SharpHID's 35W 5000K kit in my low beams, Luminics JDM yellow bulbs in my fogs, but I did keep the Sylvania Silverstars in my high beams. I'm pretty happy with that setup for now. I'm sure my low beam HIDs put out all kinds of glare, but I don't care. They're incredibly bright and they look cool.

If you decide on an HID kit for your low beams, the 5000K kit is almost as pure white as you can get while still having awesome bright light. 6000K+ is more blue and the light your eyes can physically see is less, but it looks cool. 4300K is pretty close to stock. SharpHID has a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts, their equipment is easy to install (basically plug and play), and it seems reasonably priced and of pretty high quality so far. Just something to think about.

John
07 WRX