Subaru WRX Forum banner

Broken spoiler mount with fix (non-sti)

18K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jaws4God 
#1 ·
Well, here's a good reason to not close your trunk with your wing. It can eventually stress it out and break one of the mounting holes. Since there are only 4, using the remaining ones to secure the wing is pretty risky on not letting water enter your trunk. There is no way to fix the problem since it's molded into the wing. And paying +$350 for a new spoiler just seems ridiculous.

Vehicle

Here's my solution. Dry wall anchors.

Transparency

Soil Geologist's hammer

Put the spoiler on, loosely start screwing on a pair on nuts on the non- damaged side. Then lift up on the other side so you can stick the dry wall screw thru the trunk from the inside. Screw on the anchor as much as you can. Then push the anchor into the damaged hole of the spoiler. You can't do it with the spoiler mounted because the screw hole for the trunk is too small.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Hood

See less See more
#7 ·
This is how I also mounted my fire extinguisher to the roof of my trunk. I was concerned about moisture at first until I realized everything is on the inside.
I'm stealing this F.I. idea Jon, great work as usual;)

Sorry to hear fidrat, how do you guys happen to break the spoilers? Just wondering?
Think I broke my stocker too, just dont remember how I did it. Mine was defiantly during the uninstall.

#4 ·
I just repaired my wing that was damaged exactly like in these pictures. I mean EXACTLY! All I did was glue the piece back in with thick,"gap filling" cyanoacrylate AKA Ca clue,AKA super glue. Get it at a hobby store. It will be a higher quality than regular super glue. And Shoe Goo around the mounting holes so I don't get water in my trunk. And PRESTO! One fixed wing. We'll see if it stands the test of time.

It's good to know I have a plan "B" if it fails.

#8 ·
I was washing the car and I wanted to get the last little bit of water out of the 3rd brake light on the wing by slamming the trunk. I slammed too hard.

#9 ·
Well, here's a good reason to not close your trunk with your wing. It can eventually stress it out and break one of the mounting holes. Since there are only 4, using the remaining ones to secure the wing is pretty risky on not letting water enter your trunk. There is no way to fix the problem since it's molded into the wing. And paying +$350 for a new spoiler just seems ridiculous.

View attachment 5385

View attachment 5386

View attachment 5387

Put the spoiler on, loosely start screwing on a pair on nuts on the non- damaged side. Then lift up on the other side so you can stick the dry wall screw thru the trunk from the inside. Screw on the anchor as much as you can. Then push the anchor into the damaged hole of the spoiler. You can't do it with the spoiler mounted because the screw hole for the trunk is too small.

View attachment 5388
from what i understand if i push the anchor into the hole of the wing (damaged bolt place) then i wont be able to srew from the inside of trunk, the anchor inside the hole will keep spinning. Could you please explain how it's gonna work. Thanks

#10 ·
Wow, old post. You're just going to have to finagle it in such a way were you can get the anchor to get a light grip on the inside while you finger tighten it and hope it grabs as you torque it down. If it's too smooth, you may need a different anchor or something. You're basically relying on friction to take over so you can get it to bite into the material. Good luck, I'm not active on this site anymore, so I happened to see this post while responding to the Admin.

#12 ·

View attachment 5385

View attachment 5386

View attachment 5387

View attachment 5388
Yeah i just picked up a WRX Trunk with spoiler and they told me its missing a stud.. i was hoping it was just threaded so I could screw in another stud.. but if not. thought I could try this method of a dry wall screw.. problem is what happens if you want to take the spoiler off and then reinstall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.