Broken mirror - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Broken mirror

Damn it! I skinned off my mirror on the side if my tiny garage.http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9eea9325.jpg

If I could get this piece and the glass Part # 509201 (at least that is the # on the part I don't know the part # of the glass.) http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps2669efe9.jpg I could probably fix it cheap.

I am really really low on cash so I can't afford to just get a new one. I don't want to leave the servo dangling from the car but I can't seem to get it off the car. this screw won't budge.http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps1ed3123d.jpg I actually broke the tip of a Snap-On screwdriver without striping the screw!

How do I get this off the car? The servo still works.

The outside of the mirror isn't bad. http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psb85c924f.jpg I think I can buff it out.

It just seems a shame to have to get a whole new mirror just to replace one broken part. Even so I can't get the broken part off any way. What should I do? I suppose I could just claim it on my insurance but I have a 250$ deductible and I think there is some way I can get it fixed for cheaper than that. What should I do? Where can I get a new one?

How do I get this off the car? The servo still works.
Attached Images

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have you looked in the salvage yards?

No idea on how to get it off.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

I got a used mirror from NASIOC for 50$. It has a rattle can paint job but it is in good shape. I think I'll just buff out the scratches on the shell of my old mirror and swap it out. I'm gonna' barrow an impact screwdriver from a guy at work to get out the stubborn screw. That should make it like it never happened.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#4 Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Duplicolor makes a trim spray that matches quite nicely to black plastic if you find it doesn't match. I think it's in a greenish can.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Search on Nasioc.com for a mirror, lotsss of parts there. But I tired to get mine off one day to paint them...Didnt happen. I could not get them off.

-Derek
#6 Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge10 View Post
Search on Nasioc.com for a mirror, lotsss of parts there. But I tired to get mine off one day to paint them...Didnt happen. I could not get them off.
Late,did that thanks anyway. Try an impact screwdriver. I'm gonna try that tomorrow.I'll tell you how it goes.

#7 Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Replacing the whole unit takes about five minutes, I'd go that route

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yea,provided the screws cooperate. Screws that haven't moved in ten years I might add. And I'm a little worried about removing the door card in sub freezing temps. Plastic tends to break instead of "pop" right out. Any way you look at it this isn't gonna' be a fun day.

Shall I post a picture of the Snap-on screw driver I've already broken last week trying?

#9 Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Late,did that thanks anyway.
And you didnt find any?! I found like 3 when I looked yesterday.

-Derek
#10 Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge10 View Post
And you didnt find any?! I found like 3 when I looked yesterday.
Please read post #3.

#11 Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Gotcha, I thought you need the whole assembly, from what it looked like to me.

-Derek
#12 Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

I DID get the whole assembly. Its just I think I can make my shell look better than the shell that came with the assembly I got from Nasioc. It really isn't that bad. I'm still pondering if I just want to put on the assembly on as is.

#13 Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Ahh. Well like Vew said, That trim paint is great. Thats what I used on my mirror housings and they looked great.

-Derek
#14 Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

UNBELIEVABLE! I broke the bit on the impact screwdriver and STILL did NOT strip the head of the screw. I even started to deform the metal on the door! I tried penetrating fluid but I can't get it past the rubber. This screw will not budge!

Now I know how it must have been like in the movie Independence day when they tried to kill the aliens with a nuclear bomb. "Target remains,repeat,target remains!"

Suggestions?

#15 Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, I just tried an electric hammer drill. NOW the screw head is striped. The only thing left to do now is drill out the screw. As of now, target remains.