Bought 2011 WRX Sedan, questions about upgrading head unit - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

jron is an unknown
Bought 2011 WRX Sedan, questions about upgrading head unit

Hey everyone, it's been a long while since I did any car audio shopping so I had a couple of questions. Mainly when I do this, I want to make sure I get something that works with all steering wheel controls including bluetooth, and an usb ipod interface.

I was looking at this Kenwood DPX500BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com and this PAC SWI-RC Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com is that probably all I would need?

My main question is it possible to wire these to use the usb input under the arm rest some how? I wanted to just go ahead and be able to keep the ipod in there and out of sight.

Also, how are the ipod controls for these kinds of radios? I have a 160gb full so tons of artists, is it a pain in the ass to scroll through them from the head unit controls?

Would anyone else have any other recommendations? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
@the Riot Act

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#3 Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Lol...don't get me in trouble Paul. I know there will be a post from my best buddy after this one. But....

OP is $200 your TOP price range? Just remember this is something you only wanna do once. I'd recommend at least something with GPS...unless you have one.

Clarion NX702 is the only way to go for a HU. Their user interface and GPS are second to none IMO! I've owned Pioneer, Kenwood, and Clarion and I can't wait to save the money for another NX702. I unfortunately had to sell mine along with the sale of my 350z. They can be found for around $620. I know...very much outta your price range but I just want you to look at it lol! Maybe it'll suck the wallet right outta your pocket like it did me and make the choice for me

The NX602 might be more your style and price range though. You can get them for around $340 and they offer way more than Kenwood models in the same price range. My recommendation...splurge on yourself and spend the extra $140 for at least this!

Anything from the 3 brands mentioned above should be perfectly compatible with your OE functions though. I'm personal just not a fan of Pioneer's UI and EQ setup although their quality is great as well...DEF better than Kenwood and they offer HU's in your suggested price range.

Shop around though as Crutchfield is far from the lowest price tag on anything. Lemme know some more details of what YOU want out of a HU and I can help you better with specific models I'd recommend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#4 Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
Alpine is another good brand to look into. I have a Kenwood hu and i am very happy with the sound and interface, although they nickel and dime you for all the accessory adapters.

Any unit will be tedious to search for music with a large library. I'm in the same boat, keep your iPod organized and make playlists. You will lose the ports under the armrest, and I installed the steering control adapter by aswc and was never able to get the Bluetooth controls to work. Unless someone else can drop some knowledge here to solve those issues.
#5 Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Lol...don't get me in trouble Paul. I know there will be a post from my best buddy after this one. But....

OP is $200 your TOP price range? Just remember this is something you only wanna do once. I'd recommend at least something with GPS...unless you have one.

Clarion NX702 is the only way to go for a HU. Their user interface and GPS are second to none IMO! I've owned Pioneer, Kenwood, and Clarion and I can't wait to save the money for another NX702. I unfortunately had to sell mine along with the sale of my 350z. They can be found for around $620. I know...very much outta your price range but I just want you to look at it lol! Maybe it'll suck the wallet right outta your pocket like it did me and make the choice for me

The NX602 might be more your style and price range though. You can get them for around $340 and they offer way more than Kenwood models in the same price range. My recommendation...splurge on yourself and spend the extra $140 for at least this!

Anything from the 3 brands mentioned above should be perfectly compatible with your OE functions though. I'm personal just not a fan of Pioneer's UI and EQ setup although their quality is great as well...DEF better than Kenwood and they offer HU's in your suggested price range.

Shop around though as Crutchfield is far from the lowest price tag on anything. Lemme know some more details of what YOU want out of a HU and I can help you better with specific models I'd recommend.

That's exactly what I was expecting my good friend!! Bren or not.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#6 Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Garage
They all nickel an dime ya for those "extra" harness'...bastards lol!

#7 Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd take all the "nickel and dime" harnesses any damn day of the week.

If it makes install clean and easy... pfffft.... I just passed gas

That's for you Randy

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#8 Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I was talkin about the upcharges they get for the: e-brake disable harness, iPhone/iPod harness (some), and steering wheel harness...stuff like that. That's where they get ya lol!

#9 Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nothing wrong with all that

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#10 Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

jron is an unknown
Lol nice back and forth there. Thanks for the input RIOT act. $200 isn't really a ceiling for me, I have the cash to go big if I want but would need to find a good reason. I actually started leaning a bit more towards Pioneer's AVH-X2500BT - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, and AppRadio Mode for iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA just to at least get a touch screen that would make it easier to navigate menus, and from what I read they have great sound.

I do usually have the latest in Android phones, have an s3 right now, and so I typically use that for navigation with a mount. Pioneer's appradio stuff sounds pretty neat, integrates with smartphones to use apps from the head unit, I was going to give them a call and ask more about that tomorrow as it doesn't look like their appradio 3 is out yet but they have advertisements plastered everywhere for it. I don't know if I'd want to give up Google nav for some other in dash nav because of all the awesome integration google does with all my other toys (plus things like google now, google calendar, etc., that all work with the navigation), so that's why I wasn't really looking at nav units too closely. I definitely like to hear other people's thoughts on the topic though.
#11 Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
It all adds up between the iPod control wire, swc adapter and Bluetooth module. Just because the unit says Bluetooth it doesn't mean you don't have to drop 200 to get it to work.
If you have the cash get a touch screen
#12 Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I'll try not to bash Pioneer too much here lol! Don't get me wrong cause like I said they def make quality systems, but do yourself a favor. Find a vendor who has a Pioneer and Clarion HU on display. Play around with the UI and see how much smoother Clarion is to Pioneer with launching apps and changing from one screen to the next. And the overall animation quality on the UI of Clarion to Pioneer is a huge difference! Clarion is very HD looking and animated. Pioneer is def not on the same page lol!

Clarion is HDMI and also has Beats HQ Equalizer which is FAR superior to anything from Pioneer. I'm not sure what music you listen to but to me EQ control is extremely important! I wouldn't be able to make my ears bleed from bass and still hear vocals listening to Dubstep with Pioneer's measly 5band EQ lol!

Clarion offers 100x the illumination colors, has more RCA in/outs, built in/ready Bluetooth, and is also Google/Android compatible. Please check the link OP 👍

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...559423428.html

Last edited by the RIOT act; 06-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
#13 Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
do yourself a favor. Find a vendor who has a Pioneer and Clarion HU on display. Play around with the UI and see how much smoother Clarion is to Pioneer with launching apps and changing from one screen to the next. And the overall animation quality on the UI of Clarion to Pioneer is a huge difference!
This. Go somewhere and play around with the ones you're interested in.

This was a few years ago, but we favored the Kenwood units when it came to displays over Pioneer. Everyone that got a Pioneer one eventually switched over to Kenwood. Those were the only big two offered where we worked at the time (best buy). Things may have changed since then, but it sounds like Pioneer is still playing catch up.

And yes, you can get the USB in your armrest assuming they provide you with enough cable. You can always change it out too. It also depends if your installer is willing, if they charge extra, or if you are doing it yourself. (if they say they can't, go somewhere else) Glove box is typically an easier place to locate it. Places shouldn't charge extra to run it to the glove box IMO.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

jron is an unknown
Cool, I'll definitely check one out before I make a decision. My local best buy has a couple models that I can go play with.

I agree with you on the interfaces, most of them are just plain gaudy and clunky, I hate that designed-in-asia clipart looking crap that a lot of the HU's use, that's one of the reasons the appradio3 looks more attractive because the UI is much cleaner looking like Android/iOS. I'm in no rush though so I'll play around as much as I can.
#15 Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah Best Buy won't carry Clarion but there should def be a vendor close to you that'll have an NX603 or NX702 for you to test out. Good luck OP