Body/Paint guys, I need advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Body/Paint guys, I need advice

This is a very long story, so suffice it to say we're doing some trading/selling of cars right now to lighten up our monthly payments. One of the current possibilities is a trade for an 02 WRX in SRP, which is a pretty color. But, as I told my wife, I'll only go back to an 02 if I get the exact color I want, Blaze yellow. This stipulation has also been made clear to any potential traders, so he is willing to get it shot at a booth first on his dime. This job would include under trunk, door jams, fender/hood jams-everything except what you'de have to pull the engine for. When I pull the engine down the road, I'll get it shot then.

Here's the problem: How do I know this guy will do a good job? He'd be shooting yellow over red, any chips will glare. I know rock chips will happen, so I don't mind touching up sometimes, but I don't want the paint destroyed in 2 years from crappy prep work or cheap paint. I don't really know the questions to ask him over the phone, and even then, how do I know the guy won't go in after the fact with his car and tell the painter to shoot the cheapest crap money can buy. Basically I need to know what to ask to see if he's any good, if he uses good equipment, curing procedures, if his product is junk, etc.

So far the deal is 3k, a fresh paint job, and his 02 WRX with lots of goodies for our Vette.
i would have him just put the 2k for the paint job on top so I can get it painted at a local shop, but he seems to be trading work and or making payments to the guy, so to get it painted at all, it'd have to be done before hand. But he's in New Mexico, about a 22 hour drive for me, so getting it touched up or holding this guy accountable for a cheap job is about out of the question.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. There's got to be a yellow one around. Used cars are enough of a risk without dealing with paint issues on top of it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I agree mostly, but you know they only made 450 blaze yellows. Of those, 200 were automatics. So out of the 250, who knows how many were wrecked and how many are modded to hell. I've found about 4 since I've been looking, only one was well cared for.

-Brandon
#4 Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I agree with Mosc....

Damn, you just got yur STi...

Boo

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

I love my car, but for now I need something cheaper. I put a lot of miles on my car, I can see it depreciate every day. I'll get a 2011 or later some day, I like them a lot better. But I'll be fine for now, so long as I have a WRX of some kind.

As for the original question, any ideas?

-Brandon
#6 Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Compromise on color. You're going to replace it sooner than later anyway when things turn around for you. Don't open yourself up to undue financial risk for a yellow one, it's just not worth it. Buy something cheaper and save up for the 2011

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sound advice, I'll try to follow it, thanks.

-Brandon
#8 Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue REX 9 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to blue REX 9
yep these are tough times man. that is a good idea with the 02 rex but i also have to agree with mosc . settle for another color if you really if you buy that rex your going to want to mod it to get it to be compareable to the sti you have now. that takes waaay to much money and i think its going to be tough going from a sti to a wrx and not want to mod it . so one other thing you can do is work out a deal with the bank you have your loan with first. maybe you guys can work out lower payments . never hurts to ask and who knows you might get lucky and get someone actually cool and that will help you out big time. you never know untill you try man