Body Kits - Material - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Body Kits - Material

Hey whats up,
aight here's the deal...I just talkd to this guy who manufactures body kits in California...his price for his C-West Replica kit was 565 shipped to my door in NJ!!!! What a sweet price...anyway, he makes this kit from 6 ounce handlaid fiberglass. I know that handlaid is good and better than otherwise but I am going to buy this kit and have it crack and break? Is it going to be durable? Anybody have any suggestions or opinions?
Thanks,
Joe
If anyone needs the name of the site just ask and ill find it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Any time you buy fiberglass it is not going to be as durable as polyurethane. Some fiberglass is stronger than others. I personally have no experience with this kit, but the only way to tell is to buy it. Fitment is also an issue if you are buying fiberglass bodykits. Some fit great, while others fit like crap. Like I said I have no experience with this particular kit, but I'm just letting you know in general. Just be careful when going over bumps and into steep driveways and you'll be fine. They can take some abuse, just not NEARLY as much as urethane.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Anything fiberglass is going to break the first time you run it into something.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
What do u mean but running into something? What exactly do i have to hit to make it break...are we talking running over a speed bump at 20mph or a rock skippin up and cracking it????
post #5 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I think he means like an steep incline or a driveway. Have you ever scrapped the bottom of your car trying to pull out of a parking lot, neighborhood, or driveway? Because I do it atleast twice a week, and I'm pretty careful about. I'll even take a picture of where I live if you want.

We have a lot of New Jersey students that come to WVU with their modified cars and body kits only to completely destroy them in a few weeks, weather it'd be bottoming out, curbing their wheels, trying to parallel park, or whatever. It only takes one time to destroy a lip or something.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah. That, or pulling up to a curb and thinking you are still a few inches further away than you are....
post #7 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Most of my friend have body kits on their hondas and they are all fiberglass. If you just scrape coming out of a driveway or on a speed bump you should be fine. If you hit a curb or something along those lines you can kiss it goodbye. I personally wont even buy a fiberglass lip because no matter how careful you are, there is ALWAYS something that will happen if you car is daily driven whether it be a driveway you cant make it up or something in the road you cant avoid. My personal opinion is to stay away from fiberglass and try to find a urethane kit. I understand that fiberglass kits are usually the cheapest and only option, so if its what you want, go for it. Just be careful.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I'm telling you now that if someone is making a "replica" body kit it will fit like crap, look like crap and will take alot of work to get it straight. If you get a fiber glass body kit it will eventually break, get chipped from road debry and eventually get stress cracks from driving. Save your self the time and agravation and find a urathane kit even if it is more money it will be worth it in the long run.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

awdturbo04 is an unknown
Does anyone know if there is any way to get a charge speed kit in urethane. i love the looks of the v2 kit but its fiberglass... im pretty sure it is
post #10 of 16 Old 03-06-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Wow, sounds like fiberglass is a bad idea...thanks for the help guys. Any chance anyone knows of a sweet urethane kit? I know Wings West makes one but i really like the look of the C-West. Any ideas?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

post #12 of 16 Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Ian

I know Greddy is urethane and there peices are nicer than some factor plastics
post #13 of 16 Old 03-06-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Ok, does Greddy only make a front lip or do they make an entire kit??? Also, I talkd to this guy and he says that the kit his company makes is made out of Poly fibre...What the hell is that?? I keep askin him over and over thru email and all he says is "Its a mix of fibre" Anybody know what that is exactly and how strong it is????
post #14 of 16 Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Ian

Greddy only makes a front lip, not sure of poly fibre maybe it's shredded plastic formed into a shape?
post #15 of 16 Old 03-07-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
Yeh Ian you're right...its a mix of plastic and fiberglass. Doesnt sound like its too strong. I found a site www.andysautosport.com that sells the CWest kit with a urethane front lip, so it seems im lookin in that direction. But thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement