best brand for front intercooler - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

385STI06 is an unknown
best brand for front intercooler

I am looking forward to buying one for my sti what are the good brands to look into and ones to stay away from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Best vs Best Bang for your buck?

As far as cooling charged air Process West makes some of the best cores I have ever seen. The weld lines are exceptional and their datasheets show solid improvements over stock coolers. That said unless your turbo is too large for a TMIC thats the way I would go, Shortening the piping and air path will reduce lag and you will still see a notable improvement over your stock TMIC with a process west drop in unit.

That said they arent cheap, if you want something less expensive with better performance than your stock cooler greddy makes a few big universal intercoolers, Just keep in mind the bigger you go the more turbo lag you get and there is a break even point where the benifit is scrubbed by the material in the way of the airflow.

If it were me and i had a grand to spend I would swap out the OEM top mnount with a process west top mount and protect it with a nice steel mesh screen ( bugs big enough to bend fins out here )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Process West, Mishimoto is a great brand as well if they make one for your year. Stay away from the cheap ebay crap if you are looking for quality parts.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
^ Mishimoto makes cheap crap.

OP, what FMIC you should be looking at depends on what type of setup you will be running. What turbo? What fuel? How much boost?
Epictofer likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You are literally the first person I have ever heard bash them. Godspeed makes cheap crap. Mishimoto goes through a lot of R&D and testing of their products.

Last edited by Brockton; 08-08-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
You are literally the first person I have ever heard bash them. Godspeed makes cheap crap. Mishimoto goes through a lot of D&D and testing of their products.
--I was into Mishimoto until they stooped so low as to be the staple of pep boys new "speed shops". Seeing Mishimoto parts next to universal NOS kits kinda makes them look like cheap crap.

The numbers dont lie though, They make decent parts with proven results, just not the best bang for your buck.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
You are literally the first person I have ever heard bash them. Godspeed makes cheap crap. Mishimoto goes through a lot of D&D and testing of their products.
Is that why their radiators are more prone to leaks than anyone else's?

Mishimoto is about on par with Godspeed until they take a step up and make a better, more consistent product.