Another wonderful hid question - Subaru WRX Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattysticks is an unknown
Another wonderful hid question

2011 wrx and I was wondering why I can't just buy a normal hid conversion set like I have done for every other vehicle I've owned? What's soo special about switching to the sti projectors and is it really all that hard to do?
Also for the fog lights can I just upgrade like normal since they are a 9006 I have tons of Kits for that around my house already

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Because you should have projectors in the headlight housing that were made for HID and not halogen bulbs. Why do it 85% of the right way and not do it 100%?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 27 Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You still need proper HID optics, whether stock STI lights or retrofitted stock headlights.

And you can't run HIDs in foglights regardless. It is a downgrade in both poor weather and clear conditions, not to mention it will turn your car into a mobile road hazard.
turmic likes this.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
To answer your first question there is nothing special about the STi projectors in particular except that they were designed for HID lamps. the light from standard halogen lamps comes from a very wide burning filament, whereas the HID comes from a very precise ark. the difference in emitting position from a halogen to a HID means that an optic meant for a halogen will produce unwanted and often unsafe conditions for other drivers.

Dropping a HID conversion kit in your halogen projector probably wont cause ant damaging effects to the projector but it will cause a large amount fo spillover light and unwanted glare for other drivers. /rant/ I dont care what anybody says about how their friends cousin has never been flashed for HID lamps in halogen assemblies. It still causies more glare than halogens./rant/

on the question of fog lamps it would be counter productive to run such bright lamps on fogs, the more light you throw at fog and snow the more it refelcts back at you, the reason we install fog lamps is to provide a very usable light (read yellow on the spectrum around 570nm, where the human eye is very sensative) low to the ground so it has the best chance of illuminating the road.

If you run you fogs when you are offroading i would understand wanting more light but installing HIDs in those tiny fog enclosures would surely cause heat and delanimating related issues especially with the ammount of UV-A/B that most of the inexpensive kits throw.

TLDR please don't run HIDs without the proper projectors, its not safe for other people.
mosc, turmic and Epictofer like this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #5 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thank you, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. Are the sti projectors the same bulb type as the wrx? And do you guys recommend going with the factory projectors or are aftermarket ones ok to use? I apologize for all of the questions but I just like to make sure of things before spending a lot of money like that. And one last thing..
As for the fog lights I was really just going more for the look then anything but what I really want is yellow fogs so that was my plan with doing hid for that. Is there any other way to do it and still get decent light output?

Thanx for all the help

post #6 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
These are supposed to be bright and yellow like you mentioned.
http://www.smyperformance.com/2008-2...4-wrx-sti.html
turmic likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #7 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysticks View Post
Thank you, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. Are the sti projectors the same bulb type as the wrx? And do you guys recommend going with the factory projectors or are aftermarket ones ok to use? I apologize for all of the questions but I just like to make sure of things before spending a lot of money like that. And one last thing..
As for the fog lights I was really just going more for the look then anything but what I really want is yellow fogs so that was my plan with doing hid for that. Is there any other way to do it and still get decent light output?
The STi has the same bulb type as the WRX limited with OEM projectors, The least expensive way to replace your headlamp assemblies would be to get in touch them in to a company like TRS and have them recommend a retrofitted who can install aftermarket projectors, total cost is usually less than a grand whereas STi headlamps go for between 1,500 and 3,000.

If you are really good at DIY (and I mean exceptional, I tried this once and failed terribly) you can bake the headlamp assembly and replace the projector yourself with parts available from TRS.

My recommendation would be to use OEM parts if you can afford them, while there are benefits to aftermarket projectors you also have to deal with the possibility of leaks, fogging and bad seals.

For your fog lamp situation there are a handful of companies that make excellent halogen lamps, 9006 is a very common size and just about every manufacturer makes one with a yellow filter. Ive always been a fan of PIAA and Philips bulbs, but again you don't necessarily want "Brighter", for fogs your best bet is to find a very consistant lamp and go with a color that is pleasing to your eyes.

hope that helps
mosc and Epictofer like this.

Jason
post #8 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
IDK what all has been said before, I am in a 2011 wrx, I switched out my Highs and Lows and even my fogs, and compaired to other cars with HID they are actually better in my car

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #9 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nathan you did it without swapping out the projectors or anything like that?

post #10 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
@nathan Please don't bring anecdotal evidence to the HID conversation. People read what they see on the internet and blanket that information to anything with a reflector.

While the Halogen Projectors on the 08+ may be quite effective at controlling the extra light they still are not designed for HID lamps. the lens is made of different material and cutouts/squirrel spotters are excessively open and they would ALWAYS GLARE MORE THAN THE OEM HALOGENS.You may like the extra light but on the flipside of that same coin you may be creating a road hazard for other drivers and that's not cool. If you have your HID lamps tested against DOT standards you will surely fail due to excessive glare and refraction.

The only time I can condone the use of HID lamps in any assembly is during offroad / dessert driving where excessive light is a necessity. I have a set of 5000k 9006 HIDs that i keep in the back specifically for trips up to gorman when i need a TON of light. OP, please don't do it on the road, it can be very dangerous to other drivers.
mosc, turmic, BLAZE2099 and 1 others like this.

Jason
post #11 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I think I may just stick with the stockers for the time being and look for yellow fog lights. I have been on the receiving end of bad hids before and I don't want to go that route and it's not that important right now to spend that kind of money on them when there's tons of other things I could put that money towards( gotta love the married life)

post #12 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
arcticscythe, thanks for the info. I know I'll be linking to this thread and the info given in future years.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #13 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan21 View Post
IDK what all has been said before, I am in a 2011 wrx, I switched out my Highs and Lows and even my fogs, and compaired to other cars with HID they are actually better in my car
And this is your option having spend the money and looking to justify it, rather than actual fact. You have now made many parts of your car non-functional, made your car a hazard to others on the road, and to some degree even REDUCED your night time visibility.

Lows - We've known since 2005 that the various WRX halogen projector headlights work poorly with HID kits. They do glare (a good amount too) and they beam is not consistent and even as a proper HID optic would have and the brightest point in the beam is not at the cut off, where it should be. This hurts distance vision.

Highs - If you intent to leave them on long term, then no harm no foul. However you have made it so you can no longer flash your lights or use the, short term. HIDs require up to 30 seconds to fully warm up. Repeated use without allowing them to fully warm up is a great way to kill a set of HIDs. You can't flash them and you can't use them short term. This is why bi-xenon HIDs exist as an alternative to independent HID highs.

Fogs - Your foglights are now completely useless in poor weather because they now emit too much light. They are just going to send up a wall of light in fog that will hurt your and other driver's vision due to light refracting and reflecting off fog/snow/rain. Not only that, but in clear weather, brighter foglights are bad for night vision. Sure you can see better for about 20 ft, but at any road going speed (+30 mph) that's not far enough to see anything to avoid. The problem is that your eyes try to adapt to use the brighter foreground light and this is done at the expense of your distance vision, which is what matters most. You're not even supposed to have them on in clear weather with the stock halogen bulbs. Not to mention that nothing glares more than a set of small foglight lenses. Everyone around you is getting a face full of HID.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
all your facts line up yes, and it might be a road hazard to other, but to set a few things strait

My road Vision is even more clear and can see further.

My highs, can still flash and takes only about 10sec to warm up

Never had any complaints from my friends and family that I have driven behind and past about my low beams being blinding.

Everyone has their own facts about the HID and the housing. I am just saying you can still do it and it wont melt the housing, you wont mess anything up.

Just think how I make one valid point on how it is possible to run them with no issue and I get a bunch of junk about pretty much how I am stupid for what I am doing and being a road hazard and what not!

Thanks

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #15 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
@ Nathan, I dont mean to be harsh and im definitely not calling you stupid, You are right that good HID lamps will not immediately cause damage to your hardware and they do not cause excessive heat/UV that could hurt your projectors.

This isn't about who is right and who is wrong, Im sure you have had friends drive across you at night with them on and they were not blinded by the glare but for many people the color tempature of most HID conversion kits (between 6000k and 10,000k is difficult to look at even in OEM projectors) this is more about saftey for all drivers. Im glad that you have not caused any accidents or temporarily blinded any oncoming drivers but that does not make your HIDs any safer. Its very important to understand that your improved night-time vision may be a detriment to other drivers and that is a choice only you and your local law enforcement can make. Just the same as I get on drivers for riding over the center lines in the canyons I get on drivers with extremely bright glaring headlights, it makes the world a little less safe for everyone so that you can feel better about your bright lights.

Jason