Subaru WRX Forum banner

Alternator Mod: 1/2 volt more for $1.03!!

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  AkSoul 
#1 ·
Me and a couple guys on NASIOC used a mod that has been used primarily for GM Bosch type alts.It involves using a 1N4004 diode spliced inline with th alternator reference signal wire.Result = 14.7-14.8 voltage cold start idle no load and 14.2-14.5 crusing voltage medium load.Will be doing further testing today on full load crusing.
Alternator messin' with performance? - NASIOC

#5 ·
lol. I guess I should have read...just too damn lazy these days. 20 extra whp sounds good to me. That guy "clark" in the second post was saying he has max volts at 12.6 at idle and 13.5 cruising. I idle at over 14 volts....but I just got a new alternator..and battery.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah I'm definatly not saying everyone will pick up 20hp although I do not doubt Clark did.I think his was a special case.Alot of the 02-03's seem to run lower voltage than most.But Clark (Clark Turner) is a very well known tuner in the Subaru community and probably tunes more Subies in a month than most tuners see in a year.
is there a pic buy pic walk through in there? if not can i get one, im really interested in doing this mod.
No pics at this time.It's so easy pics really are not needed.Pull the plug out of the alternator (it has two wires).The reference wire is red/blue.Buy a 1N4004 diode.Now becarefull because the wire will be energized.You can disconnect the battery if you want.Cut the wire.Splice the diode inline with the stripe/band on the diode going towards the alternator.I soldered it in place.I'm sure crimping would work too.Use heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate the splice.Thats it ,your done.

#11 ·
OMG Really?A pulley just from any old car huh?I guess a new belt would be cheap as well.You obviously have no clue how a voltage regulator works.Regarless of the pully, the voltage regulator will still limit the max voltage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.