Aftermarket Stereo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Stroker is an unknown
Aftermarket Stereo

Hi all,

I have a 2011 WRX Sedan that I have delighted in driving all summer long. I have zero complaints about the car except the lackluster stereo system. I have looked and looked but can't make any decisions on an in-dash and speaker upgrades so I thought I would look to my fellow Rex owners. Does anyone out there have an aftermarket that they love? Or speakers they would recommend? Also, does anyone else experience rattling in the doors with the factory speakers? And if so, any solutions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's not so much the speakers as to their location that makes it all Bleh at best.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

BSherrod is an unknown
Well I feel yea, I have just gotten dyneaudio 6 1/4 for the front and an audison amp for it off the stock deck....the entry level head unit with the Bluetooth streaming capability. They had cross overs and needed plates to fit the doors. The rattling was fixed by some dynomatte. That really helped in the door around the speaker. But don't pop the plastic covering the window ### ## warranty on the windows will be void. My next step I have been thinking is either a alpine head unit or a sub. I have been told that a jbl sub with a fosgate amp will work well but I am thinking about an infinity sub with a fosgate amp.....hope this helps
post #4 of 7 Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

jmanches is an unknown
I felt the same way about my 2009. I assume the 2011s have a similar setup as far as speaker and head units. This is what I bought which did a pretty good job at giving me the sound I wanted.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DXi650 High Performance 6.5 Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio DXi650 High Performance 6.5 Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P3200BT In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Receiver: Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P3200BT In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Receiver: Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles: Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles: Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07-Up: Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07-Up: Electronics

MTX RT8PT Road Thunder 120-watt powered 8" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

You might want more bass than that, but that fills the car with bass without causing very much rattling. My license plate was the only thing that rattled, but I just tightened the screws and that went away. With the door speakers I had to drill one hole for screws to use the mounting bracket that came with the speakers. As far as the stereo itself I took it to Best Buy along with the mounting bracket/ wiring harness I have listed above, and they said everything fit as it should.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

WrxCruising is an unknown
Thats why I never listen to the radio, but connect a ipod or cd or something else than the radio and it sounds really good.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I pretty much only listen to my Ipod and it still sounds like a bag of crap...I think any improvements would prove to be beneficial. +1 to the Dynamat and new speakers.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

WrxCruising is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by booosted09 View Post
I pretty much only listen to my Ipod and it still sounds like a bag of crap...I think any improvements would prove to be beneficial. +1 to the Dynamat and new speakers.
Yeah its still not the best but its better than radio. I want it to sound better but without changing the HU. I guess I will have to look at some speakers and a amp sooner or later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement