aftermarket hu dash instal - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wukillabee56 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Wukillabee56
aftermarket hu dash instal

I just ordered a Pioneer AVHP5700DVD hu for my 05 WRX...My question is where can I find the dash mountiing kit to instal an aftermarket hu? I went to best buy and they told me they dont carry them for 05 WRXs. Anyone with a head unit replacement that can advise where they got theirs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
if it is a single din, then you can use a din pocket at the link I posted and look down towards the bottom of the page and get that.

http://subaruwrxparts.com/04wrx-interior.html
post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
If you dont want to pay for shipping on a piece of plastic, try going to a local car audio shop and they should have one thats real simple, its just a pocket, and you take the mounting brackets off the stock changer, and screw it right into your new HU and the pocket, and put it back with all the same screws. And you can choose if you want your HU on the top or bottom spot, I chose the bottom because i'm lazy and dont want to take my hand off the shifter to change the station.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I hope you have better luck than I did. I have a AVH-P7500DVD and it has been in the shop more than it's been in my car...

I have always hated Pioneer, but I got a good deal on this one, so I bought it. Now, I hate Pioneer even more than ever. Aside from the fact that the tuner is horrible (as on all Pioneers), it won't play DVD's, and sometimes won't play CD's. I have sent it back three times, and it has taken about 2-3 months each time. It works for about a month at a time, then stops working again. Now, they say my warranty won't cover it any more...
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17
If you dont want to pay for shipping on a piece of plastic, try going to a local car audio shop and they should have one thats real simple, its just a pocket, and you take the mounting brackets off the stock changer, and screw it right into your new HU and the pocket, and put it back with all the same screws. And you can choose if you want your HU on the top or bottom spot, I chose the bottom because i'm lazy and dont want to take my hand off the shifter to change the station.

that is the problem, I went to my local car audio shop and they didnt have anything that was close for some reason. Yeah you can take measurements and make something yourself if you wish, but that is something I was suggested in the past so I passed the info on.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

opXus is an unknown
The shop that did mine used one from a honda of some kind and worked pretty well. If i can find the receipt ill see if its listed on there for ya.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

GASCOOBYCREW is an unknown
My profession is car audio. Pioneer is the only Head I will put in my cars. Check out wrxparts.com they have a pocket for a forrester you can use to fill the bottom hole. Any local car stereo installer should be able to put your unit in. It is a pretty easy install. You just need a pocket and you can use the factory brackets to hold the cd player to the pocket and to the dash. Took me about 25 mintues all together and believe me I am not an installer.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

GASCOOBYCREW is an unknown
Sorry that was suppose to be subaruwrxparts.com
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
I have all Kenwood stuff (HU, speakers, subs, amp) and I think its the best way to go for the price.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
sorry to hear your bad experience with Pioneer cosmo. i for one have had many pioneer head units, and never had problems.

this time round i went with an alpine, and there isent that big of a diference between there performance.

the empty plastic pockets are usualy designed for multiple car models (and manufacturs). the one i got at my local car audio shop was $20 and works for some 20 diferent cars.

oddly enough, i could not have the pocket on top and the HU on the bottom as i would have liked due to some dimension diferences.

also, the top right screw hole for the bracket (where it connects to the dash, not the hu) needed to be "trimmed" to fit back into the dash. i think my alpine is just slighty wider then the factory unit.

the thing i found really neet, is the bracket holding the factory hu has angled cut outs so the new hu's cage can be attached. just bend out the clips on the cage, around the cut outs on the bracket and your good to go!

once the dash trim is put back on, you cant tell at all.

very happy with how easy the install was, including the time spent on the wiring harnesses it took me about 40 minutes to get everything squared away.

next step is running power cables for the amps, and figuring out how im gana get my a/d/s 4" component speakers in the front doors.

perhaps on sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement