Subaru WRX Forum banner

Aerodynamics For a Dirty Bumper

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
2013 Subaru WRX Hatch, Satin Pearl White
Cobb Tuning SF Intake + SF Intake Box Black
Whitelines Anti-Sway Bars, Kartboys Endlinks, Back to black bushings.
Roof Rack,Bike Rack, Clone CS Lip
91 Octane Shell fuel

So im running into a bit of a weird situation, Yesterday I washed detailed my WRX it looked beautiful. Mcguires makes a hell of a wash and quick wax product. So after I washed it and completely dried it I took it down to the supermarket to grab a bite (2.5 miles 25mph and 45mph zones) I expect a small amount of debris to be slung up by the tires but when I went to load my groceries into the hatch I found a ton of dirt/rocks/leaf debris on top of the rear bumper.

Im not sure if this phenomenon is a function of the spoiler or of the rear bumper but it looks pretty ugly especially right after a wash. I remember seeing a wind tunnel visualization of a pickup truck that shows a low pressure zone directly above the bed and Im thinking I may be dealing with a similar effect. I have a good friend with access to a small university wind tunnel and I plan on having him run a few tests if i can find an accurate model of the 13 wrx 5 door just so we can see whats happening.

I was just curious if anyone else is having similar problems, or if anyone had a solution to keeping the rear bumper clean. At the moment I am considering adding rally armour flaps or the OEM rear hatch bumper cover if I can get it in flat black ( Im not a huge fan of the fake silver color subaru uses for their plastic trim parts)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.