Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Add an Amp Adapter (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/add-amp-adapter-44442/)

14WRX 01-29-2014 10:51 PM

Add an Amp Adapter

Do you guys know if this will work for hooking up an aftermarket amp up to our factory head unit? Says it works for a 2011 WRX but i have a 2014 non nav. Did they change at all?

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-An-Amp-Amplifier-Adapter-Interface-for-select-Subaru-Factory-Radios-/120995548306?item=120995548306&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2be58c92&vxp=mtr]Add An Amp Amplifier Adapter Interface for Select Subaru Factory Radios | eBay[/url]

arcticscythe 01-30-2014 11:21 AM

That hardware looks like a line level converter that was spliced into an OEM harness.

The head units have been the same since they switched to the wide bodies so if you have the non-nav it should be the same head unit and the same harness.

That being said Line level outputs do not provide the type of audio control or response that most drivers are interested in, because they convert the signal from speakers directly into RCA outputs that means that they carry ALL of the noise and every output frequency putting additional load on the bypass filter on the amplifier. Ive done a few instals with in-line converters and while they sound leaps and bounds better than stock they still leave a bit to be desired.

If you are installing an aftermarket 4-6 channel amplifier i would look into a replacement head unit with proper RCA output, if you are installing a mono-block amp for a sub-woofer make sure the bypass filter on the amp is reliable such that it doesn't damage your woofer.

What are you planning on installing? simple upgrade or a whole audio retrofit?

14WRX 01-30-2014 01:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am only installing an under the seat sub for now. I will then be saving up for a NAV system. So eventually I will have the sub outputs but it will be a while. Figured I would enjoy the sub in the meantime.

Eventually down the road I will go with the audio integrations box or similar and get rid of the under the seat. That will be a long ways away though.

arcticscythe 01-30-2014 01:30 PM

Excellent, for a small sub-woofer like an 8 inch or a 10 inch slimline package you can definitely improve over stock without spending a ton of money, as far as an amplifier I think NVX and Rockford Fosgate have "very small" 6 Inch x 6 Inch class D amps to power them at up to 400W RMS. They both have very reliable crossover circuits and I think the NVX can even take speaker level inputs directly without an extra adapter.

I don't have a Sub-woofer currently installed in my WRX but I have a 10 Inch Pioneer Premier Slim Mount in the Frontier and its very accurate without overpowering the stock speakers.

Nathan21 01-30-2014 02:37 PM

this adapter is never needed.
if you are running a sub even a slip, you want to run it just like you would any aftermarket system.
better safe and spend a few extra $ then sorry going a cheap way

dukefist 01-31-2014 05:28 AM

[quote=arcticscythe;429906]Excellent, for a small sub-woofer like an 8 inch or a 10 inch slimline package you can definitely improve over stock without spending a ton of money, as far as an amplifier I think NVX and Rockford Fosgate have "very small" 6 Inch x 6 Inch class D amps to power them at up to 400W RMS. They both have very reliable crossover circuits and I think the NVX can even take speaker level inputs directly without an extra adapter.

I don't have a Sub-woofer currently installed in my WRX but I have a 10 Inch Pioneer Premier Slim Mount in the Frontier and its very accurate without overpowering the stock speakers.[/quote]

I have a 14 WRX with stock Nav unit. Any recommendations for:

- Keeping stock Nav
- Stock speaker replacement and amp to power them along with a slim sub for under seat or something?

I have the hatchback, but don't want anything laying in the open,,,it's reserved for strollers....

BLAZE2099 01-31-2014 05:41 AM

^ me too, but I'm sedan;)

arcticscythe 01-31-2014 05:06 PM

[quote=dukefist;430121]I have a 14 WRX with stock Nav unit. Any recommendations for:

- Keeping stock Nav
- Stock speaker replacement and amp to power them along with a slim sub for under seat or something?

I have the hatchback, but don't want anything laying in the open,,,it's reserved for strollers....[/quote]

If your looking to keep your stock NAV then you are limiting your ability to really control the audio interface, Most aftermarket head units have 2-3 crossovers with 4-6 RCA outputs that you can use to control bass, MID, and high frequency. As far as I know the stock NAVi doesnt have any RCA outputs so you would be limited to a similar line level converter if you choose to keep your stock head unit.

as far as speakers are concerned I would wait until you are ready to upgrade the head unit. Even on stock speakers an upgraded/aftermarket head unit will give you quite a bit more control than the stock head unit.

If you really want to upgrade your speakers then it would help alot to know what kind of music you listen to. Speakers are really about what sounds good to you. I listen to alot of Orchestral Music with some Bass heavy Driving tracks. For my money I like JL or Infinity component speakers.

If your trying to keep your floor space clear then i would look at NVX for small form factor amplifiers. they are tiny and they have enough power to run just about any speaker set

Don't mean to hijack a thread and turn it into an advice thread, Guys if you have any audio questions please feel free to PM me and we can discuss.

14WRX 01-31-2014 07:32 PM

I like the conversation so it's no big deal!

I got one of the adapters to try out. I hope it works with mine and is plug and play. I am going to start saving for a nice head unit so it's just something to get by until then.

I like the pioneer NAV units with the HDMI inputs since I have the iPhone 5. I haven't found another head unit that can do iPhone 5 video. The kenwood still uses analog video while the iPhone 5 is digital.

Anyone know of other units that do digital video?

Also to keep the steering will inputs the metra one seems nice the aswc-1 I think it is.

arcticscythe 01-31-2014 08:06 PM

Good luck, let us know how it works : )

14WRX 01-31-2014 10:09 PM

[quote=arcticscythe;430290]Good luck, let us know how it works : )[/quote]

Thanks I will!