2004 WRX DRL dissabeling - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
2004 WRX DRL dissabeling

Im having trouble finding my connector to dissable my DRL's. Ive seen the post for the 06 and what not but I am yet to find one for the 04 wrx's out there. I unplugged both the clips under behind my jocky box, both the brown and white one's and those didnt do it. Im guessing its somewhere under my hood ? Please help, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
I can't remember what the connector looks like (it's been years since I disabled them) but I have an 04 WRX and the connector to disable DRLs was definitely behind the glove box in my car.

I found this on a Nasioc thread from a guy who says he has an 04 WRX:

Little whiteish yellowish plug behind your glove box. Remove 10 phillips head screws and unplug the white one labeled "DRL". Once you remove your glovebox its down on the bottom right of the pass side, almost at the doorcard. Should take 15 mins total max. GL

Thread:

How do I turn off my daytime headlamps? - NASIOC
#3 Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
Here's a bit more info:

DISABLE YOUR DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL)

DIFFICULTY: 2 out of 10.

1. Open your glovebox. There are seven (7) Phillips screws holding the top of the glove box in place. Three across the top. One on each side of the foremost edges, and one on each side of the innermost edges (you may need to kneel down to see them). Remove these 7 screws.

2. Below the glove box in the footwell area, there are two more Phillips screws. One on each side. They hold two small molded tabs in place. Remove these 2 screws.

3. If your passenger door is closed, open it. On the side, you will see one of those Phillips head locking "retainer clip" fasteners. Turn the screw 1/2 turn and the center will pop out. Pull the entire fastener out.

Your entire glove box assembly should just fall away from the dash board. While removing all of these fasteners, you may want to hold the box in place with your knee or have a friend help. There is one small wire that is attached to the back of the glove box for the small map light inside. Not that it matters a whole lot, but you don't want this to rip away from wherever it is attached. You can now set the glove box on the floor.

4. On the right side of the kick panel that is now exposed, you will see two square modules. Blue and Green (I believe). Just behind that and to the right is a black box with a WHITE and PALE YELLOW harness clipped in. Squeeze the WHITE securing clip and wiggle out of its socket. This is your DRL unit. Once it is unclipped, you will no longer have Daytime Running Lights. What I did was tuck the loose wire behind the metal frame bracket that you will see. It's grey in color.

5. Place glove box back into its original position and replace the Phillips screws that you removed. I found that it is easier to secure the three at the top first, and then secure the remaining 4 screws, and finally the retainer clip fastener on the far right side. That's it! You're done!

DIY MODS: Intake Silencer Delete / Disable DRL / Disable Seatbelt Warning. - NASIOC
#4 Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Sweet thank you guys a bunch, I thought that i would not have to remove the jocky box, im going to do this when i get home from work tonight. Thanks again !
#5 Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
There is a MUCH easier way which takes about two seconds. Pop your hood. Look on the passenger side of the vehicle next to the strut. There's a silver looking tin box. Unplug the clip on the bottom. Done. Make sure you tie up the wire with a zip tie in case you ever want to use it again. Mine melted on my DP.

Name:  p_00085.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  40.4 KB

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
Just a note in case you (or any future readers) are looking to do this in conjunction with running HIDs -- the under hood fix drops the voltage, but doesn't actually disabled the DRLs. If you want run HIDs you should completely disable the DRLs via the glove box. If you're sticking with halogen though I believe the under hood fix works fine.
#7 Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by chackoc View Post
Just a note in case you (or any future readers) are looking to do this in conjunction with running HIDs -- the under hood fix drops the voltage, but doesn't actually disabled the DRLs. If you want run HIDs you should completely disable the DRLs via the glove box. If you're sticking with halogen though I believe the under hood fix works fine.
Good to know.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

lowrthnu92 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to lowrthnu92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chackoc View Post
4. On the right side of the kick panel that is now exposed, you will see two square modules. Blue and Green (I believe). Just behind that and to the right is a black box with a WHITE and PALE YELLOW harness clipped in. Squeeze the WHITE securing clip and wiggle out of its socket. This is your DRL unit. Once it is unclipped, you will no longer have Daytime Running Lights. What I did was tuck the loose wire behind the metal frame bracket that you will see. It's grey in color.
All the searching i did that is all i could ever find, never any pictures, i like pictures ...

hi-res links
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...cts/DRLbox.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ts/DRLbox2.jpg
#9 Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
It was actually very easy for me to find after I got my jocky box off. Everyone said it was the yellow 10 pin connector. Needless to say no more DRL's and im a happy camper !