06 headlights - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
06 headlights

this has probably been answered so my b but, how do you clear the headlights on the 06?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It has several times on several forums, but here you go:

How To: How to Paint/Clear '06-'07 Headlights - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

How to clear MY04 headlights - photo instructions - NASIOC

hope this helps some. I have had the cajones to try yet even though I want to.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Go for it. Just read over the directions a bunch of times so you're very familiar with everything and then just take your time and do everything slowly and carefully. I was pretty scared when I did mine, but I love the way they turned out. Just make sure you give them plenty of time to dry and I'd suggest taping off the tiny circles around the low beam headlight projector housings too. I just think it looks better that way.

This is the set of directions I used:
How to clear 06 headlights & paint. - NASIOC
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thats sharp Man sho, thats what I want to do. Just like I said, kind of scared for some reason.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks... yeah I think it's kind of a big deal if you mess those up. I don't think new headlight assemblies are cheap. You could always buy an extra set and keep them as backups in case you mess up your stockers and return them if everything goes smoothly. But then you might have to pay shipping or restocking fees or transport them to and from the dealership yourself. Just a thought...

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM

That has been my exact thought. To buy new ones and then try my hand at it. But just dont want to be stuck with some extra lights or anything. I work helicopters all day with no regad to messing up, guess its different when working on my baby.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah I know how you feel. Everything I've done to my car so far has just been basic simple stuff (bolt on parts, fluid changes, etc.), but every time I tackle a car-related project I always try to find good advice and writeups and familiarize myself with everything before I start. I guess it's because it's really the only mode of transportation I have right now and I don't want to mess anything up. But I'm learning as I go and it's interesting seeing how everything works and I'm already looking forward to my next little project - a custom-mounted Yakima snowboard roof rack (directions courtesy of NASIOC)

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Thats sharp Man sho, thats what I want to do. Just like I said, kind of scared for some reason.
i'll do them for you if you want. I've done like 10 sets on all different cars. it will only take a few hours.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #9 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
I also lack the cajones to put my expensive headlights in the oven.

12.7 @ 109
post #10 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

this is legal right? lol just had to ask...sorry

im with you newtothegame
i wana do them but idk if i really wana jump right in and start messing with my car
i had a list of stuff i wanted to do to my car, but now that i have it i think im just gona wait a while before i start playing doctor on my baby lol
post #11 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
No its not legal. If you think about it, you are opening up and tampering with OEM DOT saftey equipment..not legal...replacing/painting over reflective orange plastics, not legal. The smartest thing to do is keep your orange blinker bulbs at least. I'll do it one of these rainy days.

12.7 @ 109
post #12 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
I did the headlights on my 04, it looks way better, It was pretty easy. Be careful to not get any of the epoxy on the shiny insides.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 PM

I would gladly help and pay for it Nagy. I just am kind of wierd when it comes to my car. Like I said I tackle new stuff on helicopters often and dont think twice. But again its not mine and someone can fix what I break if I cant, lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 17 Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

meh i guess ill clear my lights sometime in the future, but as for now ill just leave them as they are
post #15 of 17 Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

I know you can't tell from the pic I posted, but my front turn signal bulbs still light up amber/orange. They just look silver/chrome when they're off - I found the bulbs on eBay. And yeah, I know it's illegal to tamper with DOT approved items, but I absolutely love the way it looks. I think my painted headlight assemblies look quite a lot like the stock 2008+ WRX/STi headlights too, so I don't think the coppers will pull me over and say, "Hey, I don't think your headlights are supposed to look like that, so here's a ticket." They could get me for not having anything amber/orange in color on the front of my car that reflects light, but hopefully the fact that my turn signals still light up amber/orange when flashing will be enough for them to look past that. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem anyway, but if I ever do, I might be able to temporarily put a piece of orange reflective material somewhere on the front of my car and take it to be inspected. Or worst case, I'll just buy some new headlight assemblies, but I really don't see that happening. Plus, they still put out the same amount of light (high/low beams) because I didn't touch the parts that actually put out or reflect light (except for the two tiny parking lights behind the orange reflectors, but that's kind of the point of painting the assemblies in the first place - to get rid of the color).

John
07 WRX