Subaru WRX Forum banner

03 wrx speakers

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RentForSale 
#1 ·
I recently decided to upgrade the speakers in my 03 wrx, but i have been reading that there is a problem with the front speakers. They said they are 5 1/4 in speakers but most aftermarket brands do not fit cause they are too deep. Has anyone else heard about this or experienced themselves?? If so does anyone know of a brand that does fit? What modifications do i need to make to make this work?? Also I keep hearing that Boston Acoustics makes a 5 1/4 speaker that fits in the front door with no mods neccessary. Does anyone know the model# for this speaker? Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks

#2 ·
At least 90% of all aftermarket speakers will not fit in the front or the rear without spacers. Don't try going around this problem, because it is definitely unavoidable. Unless, of course, you're willing to buy speakers because they fit rather than because you like them. You can make your own spacers, or you can buy a set off iaperformance.com. With the help of these spacers you can fit 6.5" speakers in the front and 5.25" in the back. Again I say, buy/make the spacers now and forget trying to find some that already fit.

#3 ·
Speakers

I have an 03 WRX that I recently put speakers in. I put 6 1/2" Polk Audio components in the front, and 6 1/2" coaxils in the rear. The fronts just screwed right in, but i had to cut the door to get the rears in. The model for the fronts is PLK DB6500, and the rears are PLK DB650. I never ran into a depth problem with mine.

#4 ·
02-03 Speakers

I've been lookin to upgrade as well and after doing some research it looked like there was nothing but modding, however I was told of this site that sells special spacers that will allow for any speakers, it even increases the size potential to 6 1/2. The site is www.iaperformance.com.
I haven't tried these spacers myself but I've heard from multiple people that they are the solution.
Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.